While considering a marriage alliance, the Hindu custom does not allow the tying of the knot until the ten poruthams are studied and matched for the couple who desires to be joined in matrimony. Only in cases of a love affair or marriage contemplation between a boy and a girl of an older age group, the application of the poruthams can be omitted.
Poruthams or kootas are based on the birth stars and the janam rashi of the boy and the girl in question. Originally, Twenty poruthams or kootas were charted by the sages but today only ten poruthams suffice to come to a decision whether the boy and the girl who wish to marry should go ahead with it or not. Each porutham is significant according to different aspects of a person's mind, body and personality, and the effects of each are considered one by one.
The ten poruthams or kootas considered today are: dina porutham, gana porutham, yoni porutham, rasi porutham, rasiyathipaty porutham, rajju porutham, vedha porutham, vasya porutham, mahendra porutham and stree deergha porutham. The elders and the parents of both the girl's and the boy's family come together to study and match the poruthams.
Porutham considers the natural tendencies of the boy and the girl based on the horoscopes, and accordingly the marriage of the two can be matched. The following five matches out of ten are considered important: Ganam, Rajju, Dhinam, Raasi and Yoni and out these five, Rajju and Dhinam are given the greatest importance.
About Each Porutham in Detail
- Dina Porutham - Know about dinam in porutham
- Gana Porutham - Gana porutham for marriage compatibility
- Rajju Porutham - Indicates strength or duration of married life
- Rasi Porutham - Know about importance of Rashi in porutham
- Yoni Porutham - Sexual Compatibility
- Vedha Porutham - About Vedha Porutham in detail
- Vasya Porutham - Know about Vasya Kuta in detail
- Mahendra Porutham - Porutham of Harmony and Longevity
- Stree deerga Porutham - Information on Stree Dirgha Porutham
- Rasiyathipaty Porutham