UK is an international education-hub for people from all around the world. The UK government and universities provide a large number of scholarships for international students.
Chevening scholarships: Chevening scholarships are given by the British government. Every year 1000 scholarships are rewarded to exceptional students who wish to pursue postgraduate programmes in UK universities. The scholarship programme is funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and partner organizations. Scholars with leadership potential are chosen to study postgraduate course. Students come from 118 countries worldwide. The scholarship covers tuition fees, a living allowance and grants to cover essential expenditure.
Commonwealth scholarshipsThe commonwealth scholarships are for students from developing commonwealth countries. This scholarship is given to students wishing to pursue PhD in UK. It is funded by the UK Department for International Development. There is an agency in every commonwealth country to nominate the scholars. Approximately 200 candidates are awarded this scholarship.
Commonwealth shared scholarshipsCommonwealth shared scholarship scheme is a joint initiative between commonwealth scholarship commission with funding from DFID and other universities to support students from developing commonwealth countries, who wish to pursue postgraduate courses in the UK.
UK University scholarships
- Gates Cambridge scholarships were established by Bill Gates Foundation with 10 million endowment to enable outstanding students from outside UK to study postgraduate courses. The award covers all tuition cost, maintenance allowance and return air fare. The candidates are expected to hold an a first degree and the sponsoring university has ensure that the candidate is fluent in written and oral English.
- Rhodes scholarships at Oxford university - Rhodes is the most prestigious international scholarship program in the world. It supports exceptional students from selected countries to study at the Oxford University. This international postgraduate award is considered the world’s most prestigious scholarships. Rhodes scholars can study full-time postgraduate course offered by the university and the fees are paid by the Rhodes Trust.
- Cardiff University scholarship for international students is a prestigious scholarship offered to attract the brightest students around the world. This scholarship is awarded at the undergraduate, postgraduate and postgraduate research level. The scholarship covers the tuition fees.
- University of Birmingham Scholarships for international students. University of Birmingham offers a number of international scholarships to promote students of the highest calibre from around the world. The postgraduate scholarships cover the tuition fees. 20 scholarships worth 10000 Pounds each are offered in different catogories.
- ISH-London Met Scholarship scheme is a joint scholarship programme for foreign students from selected countries. Overseas students wishing to pursue masters’ programme at London Metropolitan University can apply. It covers the cost towards tuition fees and one year’s accommodation at International Students House.
- Bristol University International Office scholarships is meant for both undergraduate and postgraduate students from other countries. The scholarship worth 8500 Pounds covers tuition fees.
- University of West London International Ambassadors scholarships aims to support international students who wish to pursue undergraduate or postgraduate course at the university. There are 100 scholarships. The students who receive the scholarship will be the international ambassadors of the university.
- University of Westminster International Scholarships are awarded to students from developing countries who want to study full-time master’s degree programme. The scholarship covers tuition fees, living expenses and flight-tickets
- Developing Solutions Scholarships at the university of Nottingham is meant for international students from Africa, India or one of the developing countries in the Commonwealth. The chosen candidate can do master’s degree at the university of Nottingham. There 100 scholarships offered every year.
- University of Bradford Scholarships for developing Countries in Crisis is meant for students who face financial hardship due to political crisis, war or disaster in their own country. Each scholarship is worth 20000 Pounds, covering tuition fees, and living cost.
British Council and scholarships
There are many financial support options for international students who wish to pursue their education in UK. The British Council too manages and administers a number of scholarships and funding schemes.
- Euraxess UK is a scheme for researchers from all countries
- UK-China HE Research Partnership open to students from China and UK is meant for doctoral studies
- Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan is for Common wealth countries.
- Tullow Group Scholarship Scheme for post graduate courses is meant for Candidates from Ethiopia, Ghana, Gabon, Ivory Coast, Suriname, Kenya, Mauritania, Uganda and Uruguay.
- Entente Cordiale is for candidates from France and UK wishing to do postgraduate courses.
- Hong Kong-Scotland Partners in Postdoctoral Research Scheme is for candidates from Hong Kong and Scotland.
- Charles Wallace-India Trust scholarships and Goa Education Trust scholarships are for candidates from India
- Nigeria LNG overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme is designed for Nigerians wishing to do postgraduate courses in UK