Dhanu Sankranti or Dhanu Sankraman is an auspicious day as per Hindu mythology and occurs when the Sun enters the Sagittarius sun sign or the dhanu rashi. It is of special importance in the state of Orissa where this day is celebrated with great joy. The start of Dhanur Mas is observed with special puja offered to Lord Jagannath. Dhanur Mas is said to start on makar Sankranti. This day is also celebrated by worshipping the Sun God.
During the entire festival that commences from 16th of December for nearly 15 days, the Bargarh town becomes Mathura, the Jura River becomes Yamuna, and Ambapalli is depicted as Gokul. All adults and children together celebrate and many plays and musical performances take place. The entire stretch of nearly 5 kilometers become like a theatre where large number of people get involved and enact various episodes of Lord Krishna’s life.
Dhanu Sankranti 2018 is on December 16 Sunday
8 months and 25 days to go for the event
Rituals of the Day
- On this day, Lord Jagannath is worshipped in many parts of India, especially in Orissa. Devotees start the festival of Dhanu Yatra from sixth day of Pousha month in Shukla Paksha and continue it until Purnima of the Pousha month.
- Special prasad is prepared on this day, which includes sweetened rice flakes in conical shape to offer the God during the puja ceremony.
- The “Bow Ceremony” is depicted in a street play and held as mentioned in the Bhagwad Purana. Devotees from near and far come to watch this and pray to God.
- This day is considered auspicious to offer donation (daanya punnya) and perform ancestral pujas.
- Apart from daan activities one should involve himself in sankraman japa, holy water bath and pitru tarpan.
- The Sun God is offered water and flowers early in the morning just after the sunrise to receive blessings. Devotees especially, women, fast on this day for happiness and fortune in their life.
Important Timings On Dhanu Sankranti
|Sunrise||16-Dec-2018 06:32 AM|
|Sunset||16-Dec-2018 18:03 PM|
|Punya Kaal Muhurta||09:15 AM - 18:03 PM|
|Maha Punya Kaal Muhurta||09:15 AM - 09:39 AM|
|Sankranti Moment||16-Dec-2018 09:15 AM|
|Place : Thiruvananthapuram [ India ]|
Many foreigners visit the Puri Temple of Lord Jagannath to witness the great puja performed and collect blessings and prasad of the Lord. The temple is decorated and songs are sung to please the God as well as increase the enthusiasm among the devotees.
Dhanu Sankranti festival dates between 2015 & 2025
|2015||Wednesday, 16th of December|
|2016||Thursday, 15th of December|
|2017||Saturday, 16th of December|
|2018||Sunday, 16th of December|
|2019||Monday, 16th of December|
|2020||Tuesday, 15th of December|
|2021||Thursday, 16th of December|
|2022||Friday, 16th of December|
|2023||Saturday, 16th of December|
|2024||Sunday, 15th of December|
|2025||Tuesday, 16th of December|