Gauri Tapo Vrat, also known as Gauri Vrat, is an auspicious ritual in Hinduism that is observed by young girls and unmarried women. This ritual is observed in the month of ‘Ashadha’ of the traditional Hindu calendar. Gauri Tapo Vrat is a five-day fasting ritual that starts on the ‘ekadashi’ (11th day) and continues till the ‘purnima’ (full moon day) during the ‘Shukla Paksha’ (the waxing phase of moon) of the Hindu ‘Ashadha’ month. The occurrence of this festival corresponds to the months of July to August in the Gregorian calendar. Gauri Tapo Vrat is dedicated to worshipping Goddess Parvati and is an important fasting day for unmarried women. Gauri Vrat is mainly performed by unmarried girls in the Indian state of Gujarat.
Gauri Tapo Vrat 2017 was on November 18 Saturday
Rituals during Gauri Tapo Vrat:
- On the day of Gauri Tapo Vrat, unmarried women get up at sunrise and take an early bath.
- They worship Goddess Parvati and Lord Shiva on this day with full devotion. Various offerings in the form of kumkum, akshata, dhoop, flowers and incense sticks are made to please the Goddess.
- Unmarried girls keep partial fasting on this day. Only food made from ghee, wheat flour and milk is only consumed in these five days. During the fasting, one can even eat different kinds of fruits. However the observer of Gauri Tapo Vrat must avoid eating salt strictly on all the five days.
- During the Gauri Vrat fasting there is a unique ritual of growing corn in a small pot. Sun God and these tender corn shoots are also worshipped on these five days along with Goddess Parvati.
- On the last day, Ashadha Purnima, after finishing the worshipping rituals, the corn shoots are eaten as ‘prasad’. The remaining shoots are distributed among other family members. After the puja, the pot is retained and the remaining corn parts along with mud are put under any tree.
Important Timings On Gauri Tapo Vrat
|Sunrise||18-Nov-2017 06:46 AM|
|Sunset||18-Nov-2017 17:37 PM|
|Amavasya Tithi Begins||17-Nov-2017 15:29 PM|
|Amavasya Tithi Ends||18-Nov-2017 17:12 PM|
|Place : Ujjain [ India ]|
Significance of Gauri Tapo Vrat:
Gauri Tapo Vrat holds immense significance for Hinduism followers and this vrat is mainly observed by the young female folk with immense devotion and dedication. According to the Hindu mythological stories, Goddess Parvati first observed this vrat for desiring Lord Shiva as Her husband. After years of ‘tap’ she was finally granted her wishes. Henceforth, from them onwards, there is a popular belief that any young girl who devotedly keeps this Gauri Vrat and worships Goddess Parvati will get her choice of husband.
Gauri Tapo Vrat festival dates between 2014 & 2024
|2014||Saturday, 22nd of November|
|2015||Friday, 11th of December|
|2016||Tuesday, 29th of November|
|2017||Saturday, 18th of November|
|2018||Friday, 7th of December|
|2019||Tuesday, 26th of November|
|2020||Monday, 14th of December|
|2021||Saturday, 4th of December|
|2022||Wednesday, 23rd of November|
|2023||Tuesday, 12th of December|
|2024||Sunday, 1st of December|