Kumbha Sankranti is the day when the Sun is in the transit from Makar rashi to Kumbha rashi. It is the start of the eleventh month according to the Hindu Solar calendar. The auspicious time of the day is quite limited and varies every year because of the position of the sun. It is the day when the world’s largest religious festival takes place in one place and that is the Kumbha Mela. Millions of people come in for the Holy bath in the water of the Ganga River to remove all evil and sins of past and around them.
Many Hindus all over the country celebrate Kumbha Sankranti, but people in Eastern India do it with great joy. It starts the Falgun Maas for the people of West Bengal and according to the Malayalam calendar, it is the festival known as Masi masam. Devotees visit Holy cities of Allahabad, Haridwar, Ujjain, and Nasik to take holy bath in the Ganges and pray to the God for happiness and good luck in future. The temples on the banks of these cities are full of devotees on this day.
Kumbha Sankranti 2017 was on February 12 Sunday
Rituals of the Day
- On the day of Kumbha Sankranti, like all other Sankranti devotees should donate all kinds of food items, clothes and other necessities to the Brahmin Pandits.
- It is very auspicious to take bath in holy water of the River Ganga on this day to achieve Moksha.
- The devotee should pray with a clean heart and meditate to Goddess Ganga for a happy and prosperous life.
- People who cannot manage to visit the banks of river Ganga can also take bath in rivers like Yamuna, Godavari and Shipra for removing all sins.
- Offerings given to a cow on Kumbha Sankranti are considered auspicious and beneficial to the devotee.
Important Timings On Kumbha Sankranti
|Sunrise||12-Feb-2017 07:05 AM|
|Sunset||12-Feb-2017 18:17 PM|
|Punya Kaal Muhurta||12:41 PM - 18:17 PM|
|Maha Punya Kaal Muhurta||16:25 PM - 18:17 PM|
|Sankranti Moment||12-Feb-2017 20:41 PM|
|Place : Ujjain [ India ]|
The Kumbha Mela is observed and celebrated once in every twelve years in places of worship like Haridwar, Allahabad, and River Godavari in Nasik. The purpose of taking a dip in any of the holy places once in a lifetime is to clean oneself of all kinds of sin. Men and women in equal numbers take part in this ritual on this sacred day.
Kumbha Sankranti festival dates between 2014 & 2024
|2014||Thursday, 13th of February|
|2015||Friday, 13th of February|
|2016||Saturday, 13th of February|
|2017||Sunday, 12th of February|
|2018||Tuesday, 13th of February|
|2019||Wednesday, 13th of February|
|2020||Thursday, 13th of February|
|2021||Friday, 12th of February|
|2022||Sunday, 13th of February|
|2023||Monday, 13th of February|
|2024||Tuesday, 13th of February|