The start of the twelfth month in the Hindu calendar is celebrated as Meena Sankranti. This is the last month and the sun enters the house of Pisces on this day. This day is also known as Meena Sankramanam in Southern India. Like all other Sankranti festivals, on this day it is auspicious to donate articles and receive blessings. This day is celebrated in different ways as per the culture and it is said donating land on this day is a good way to seek happiness for oneself.
It is said that the sixteen ghatis that follow the Sankranti are considered shubh ghatis. There are many types of holy chanting and pujas done in families to free oneself from sins of the past. Bathing in the Holy waters of Ganga, Yamuna, and Saraswati are considered auspicious. Sankranti means the onset of a new month according to all other Hindu cultures except Bengali and so it is believed that good deeds of today will pay off throughout the coming month.
Meena Sankranti 2017 was on March 14 Tuesday
Rituals of the Day
- On all twelve Sankranti including meena Sankranti devotees should take holy bath as per the muhurat.
- While taking bath one should offer namaskar to the sun God and pray to him for your well- being. This should be preferably done at the time of sunrise.
- This day is celebrated in different ways to get blessings happiness and prosperous life for one’s family.
- Temples and mandirs at home are decorated with flowers and incense stick, lamp, and sweets are offered to the God.
- Brahmins and needy people are given daan that includes ann daan ( cereals donation), dhana daan ( money donation) and vastra daan (clothes donation). It is especially beneficial for the devotee to donate land on this particular day.
Important Timings On Meena Sankranti
|Sunrise||14-Mar-2017 06:40 AM|
|Sunset||14-Mar-2017 18:32 PM|
|Punya Kaal Muhurta||16:34 PM - 18:32 PM|
|Maha Punya Kaal Muhurta||17:36 PM - 18:00 PM|
|Sankranti Moment||14-Mar-2017 17:36 PM|
|Place : Ujjain [ India ]|
On this day Surya devta (Sun God) is worshipped in many temples across India, like the Konark sun temple in Orissa. They offer puja and prayer to the God and hope for peace in the society. The purpose of Sankranti puja is to remove all sins and to start a new month on a positive note without carrying any burden.
Meena Sankranti festival dates between 2014 & 2024
|2014||Friday, 14th of March|
|2015||Sunday, 15th of March|
|2016||Monday, 14th of March|
|2017||Tuesday, 14th of March|
|2018||Wednesday, 14th of March|
|2019||Friday, 15th of March|
|2020||Saturday, 14th of March|
|2021||Sunday, 14th of March|
|2022||Tuesday, 15th of March|
|2023||Wednesday, 15th of March|
|2024||Thursday, 14th of March|