Sravana Vratham is an auspicious fasting observed by Vaishnava devotees. This fasting is observed every month on the day of ‘Sravana Nakshatram’. It is believed that performing pujas for Lord Vishnu as well as Lord Shiva on the day of Sravana Vratham is fruitful. According to the legends, Sravana Nakshatra is known to be the ‘Nakshatra of Lord Venkateswara’. This day is therefore considered very auspicious in Tirumala, Tirupati. On this day the ‘deepam’ ceremony in the ‘Oppilliappan Temple’ is very renowned. Special pujas and abhishekam is held during Sravana Vratham in Lord Vishnu temples all across India, especially in the southern regions.
Next Sravana Vratham Date in 2017 : August 07 Monday
Rituals during Sravana Vratham:
- The fasting on Sravana Vratham is similar to Ekadashi fast. Staunch devotees keep a fast for 24 hours starting from the sunrise of the Sravana Vratham day till the dawn of the following day. But older people and those suffering from any medical condition should not keep this kind of strict fast. Such people observe partial fasting and are allowed to eat fruits and ‘phalahaar food’.
- Even those not observing this vratham, consuming non-vegetarian food and alcohol is strictly prohibited.
- The observer of Sravana Vratham should break his/her fast by offering ‘naivedyam’ to the lord on the following morning. Those who keep strict fast must take only liquid diet on the following day.
- On the day of Sravana Vratham one must also observe silence for few hours. It is a form of meditation which unites the individual with the Supreme Power.
- It is auspicious to recite ‘Pancha Sooktham’ or ‘Sri Vishnu Sahasranamam’ on the day of Sravana Vratham. Lighting a ‘deepam’ on the day of Sravana Vratham in Lord Venkateshwara or Lord Narayana temples is highly meritorious.
Important Timings On Sravana Vratham
|Sunrise||07-Aug-2017 06:03 AM|
|Sunset||07-Aug-2017 19:01 PM|
|Sravana Nakshathram Begins||07-Aug-2017 01:46 AM|
|Sravana Nakshathram Ends||08-Aug-2017 03:32 AM|
|Place : Ujjain [ India ]|
Significance of Sravana Vratham:
The observance of Sravana Vratham is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. It is also one of the most popular fasting observed by the Hindus. The greatness of Sravana Vratham is mentioned in most of the Hindu religious books or puranas. In Hinduism, Sravana masa is considered to be the best time to worship Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva. It is held that pujas and other rituals performed during this month are highly rewarding. The month of Sravana is the 5th month in the traditional Hindu calendar and is considered to be as holiest as the ‘Karthika’ month. It also marks the start of the propitious ‘Chaturmaas’ period. One who observed the Sravana Vratham in a ritualistic manner will be bestowed with happiness and prosperity. They will ultimately seek ‘moksha’ and find place in ‘Vaikuntha’, the heavenly abode of Lord Vishnu.
All Sravana Vratham dates in 2017 and Sravana Nakshathram Ends
|01 January||(Sunday)||Sravana Vratham||01-Jan-2017 07:12 AM 01-Jan-2017 17:48 PM 31-Dec-2016 14:47 PM 01-Jan-2017 16:01 PM|
|28 January||(Saturday)||Sravana Vratham||28-Jan-2017 07:12 AM 28-Jan-2017 18:07 PM 27-Jan-2017 21:49 PM 28-Jan-2017 22:39 PM|
|24 February||(Friday)||Sravana Vratham||24-Feb-2017 06:56 AM 24-Feb-2017 18:23 PM 24-Feb-2017 06:29 AM 25-Feb-2017 07:10 AM|
|24 March||(Friday)||Sravana Vratham||24-Mar-2017 06:30 AM 24-Mar-2017 18:35 PM 23-Mar-2017 15:47 PM 24-Mar-2017 16:45 PM|
|20 April||(Thursday)||Sravana Vratham||20-Apr-2017 06:05 AM 20-Apr-2017 18:46 PM 20-Apr-2017 00:20 AM 21-Apr-2017 01:51 AM|
|18 May||(Thursday)||Sravana Vratham||18-May-2017 05:48 AM 18-May-2017 18:58 PM 17-May-2017 07:25 AM 18-May-2017 09:26 AM|
|14 June||(Wednesday)||Sravana Vratham||14-Jun-2017 05:44 AM 14-Jun-2017 19:09 PM 13-Jun-2017 13:22 PM 14-Jun-2017 15:32 PM|
|11 July||(Tuesday)||Sravana Vratham||11-Jul-2017 05:52 AM 11-Jul-2017 19:12 PM 10-Jul-2017 19:09 PM 11-Jul-2017 21:10 PM|
|07 August||(Monday)||Sravana Vratham||07-Aug-2017 06:03 AM 07-Aug-2017 19:01 PM 07-Aug-2017 01:46 AM 08-Aug-2017 03:32 AM|
|04 September||(Monday)||Sravana Vratham||04-Sep-2017 06:13 AM 04-Sep-2017 18:37 PM 03-Sep-2017 09:37 AM 04-Sep-2017 11:17 AM|
|01 October||(Sunday)||Sravana Vratham||01-Oct-2017 06:22 AM 01-Oct-2017 18:10 PM 30-Sep-2017 18:15 PM 01-Oct-2017 20:09 PM|
|28 October||(Saturday)||Sravana Vratham||28-Oct-2017 06:33 AM 28-Oct-2017 17:47 PM 28-Oct-2017 02:41 AM 29-Oct-2017 05:03 AM|
|25 November||(Saturday)||Sravana Vratham||25-Nov-2017 06:51 AM 25-Nov-2017 17:36 PM 24-Nov-2017 10:03 AM 25-Nov-2017 12:48 PM|
|22 December||(Friday)||Sravana Vratham||22-Dec-2017 07:08 AM 22-Dec-2017 17:42 PM 21-Dec-2017 16:18 PM 22-Dec-2017 19:11 PM|