The Vat Purnima Vrat is one of the highly auspicious Hindu festivals that is also known as Jyeshtha Purnima or the Vata Savitri Purnima. The word ‘Purnima’ means full moon, therefore the Vat purnima vrat is observed on the full moon day (15th day) of the Hindu month of Jyeshtha that is during the month of May-June as per the Gregorian calendar. This vrat is mainly observed by the married women for the longevity and prosperity of their husbands and pray for a happy married life. The Vat Purnima Vrat is commemorated by Hindus residing all over India as well as abroad. This sacred vrat is dedicated to Goddess Gauri and Sati Savitri. The Vat Purnima Vrat is commemorated with great pomp and show in the state of Maharashtra and Gujarat, though it is also observed in the Indian states of Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Orissa. In the southern states of India like Karnataka and Tamil Nadu, this vrat is called as ‘Karadaiyan Nonbu’. This vrat is observed with great joy all over India and is also considered symbolic of the womanhood.
On the day of Vat Purnima Vrat, married women worship ‘Savitri-Satyavan’ and the Vat (Banyan) tree. The banyan tree holds a unique significance in Hindu religion. As per the Hindu scriptures, it holds the essence of the three great Gods in Hindu mythology, Brahma-Vishnu-Mahesh. The roots represents Brahma, the stem of Vat Vriksha is Vishnu while Shiva represents the upper part. It is believed that performing the rituals of the puja under this sacred tree, the devotees can fulfil all their desires. Just in the way that Savitri got her husband, Satyavan back from Yumraj, it is known that women who observe this auspicious fast will be blessed with good fortune and blissful married life. On the purnima of the Jyeshtha month, the devotees bring the idol of ‘Yamraj riding a buffalo’ and ‘Savitri-Satyavan’ made from either mud or gold. The idols are then worshipped with vermillion, saffron, incense-sandal and fruits.
Vat Purnima Vrat 2017 was on June 09 Friday
Rituals of Vat Purnima Vrat:
- The Vat Savitri Vrat is observed for a period of three continuous days starting from Trayodashi till Purnima, all throughout the India. Yet, in some places, people observe the ritual on the main day only.
- On this propitious day, women wake up early in the morning, take a bath after applying the gingili (Sesame) and amla (Indian gooseberry) paste. They then get dressed like an ideal wife along with necessary adornments. As in the Hindu religion, the adornments are considered sacred for the Hindu women, they wear all the new things on this day. There are 16 forms of adornments mention for married women which includes vermillion applied on the parting of the hair, bangles, kohl, bindi for forehead, henna and new clothes to name a few.
- All through the day, women observe strict fast for their husbands. The roots of Banyan tree is eaten with water. In the morning they worship Goddess Savitri and the holy Banyan tree with full fervour and enthusiasm. Married women in large numbers gather around the Banyan tree. They pour water in the tree and tie a yellow or red thread 108 times around the tree to obtain blessings for their husband’s long life.
- Prasad is offered in the form of fruits like banana, mango, jack fruit and lemon, along with wet pulses and rice.
- The priest of the temple helps in the puja and also recites the ‘Savitri-Satyavan’ story to the women. After finishing all the rituals, the devotees also bring back some prasad for the family members. After completing all the rituals, women seek blessings from their husbands and other elders of the family.
- The fast is broken on the next day by eating the prasad. Special delicacies are prepared too and eaten along with family members and relatives. It is also rewarding to distribute clothes, food and money to the needy on the occasion of Vat Savitri Vrat.
Important Timings On Vat Purnima Vrat
|Sunrise||09-Jun-2017 05:44 AM|
|Sunset||09-Jun-2017 19:08 PM|
|Purnima Tithi Begins||08-Jun-2017 16:16 PM|
|Purnima Tithi Ends||09-Jun-2017 18:39 PM|
|Place : Ujjain [ India ]|
The glory of Vat Purnima Vrat is described in several Hindu scriptures like Skand Purana, Nirnayamrit and Bhavishyottar Purana to name a few. This sacred vrat is celebrated by married Hindu women for the well-being of their respective husbands and children. The Vat Purnima vrat does not just strengthen the bond between the married couples, it also honours the spirit of womanhood. It is the faith in this vrat that makes it so sacred and auspicious. Even pregnant women, working women or women suffering from some ailment can perform this puja, even if they skip fasting. By devotedly offering their prayers, they can seek the same benefits as those who dutifully keep the fast.
Vat Purnima Vrat festival dates between 2014 & 2024
|2014||Thursday, 12th of June|
|2015||Tuesday, 2nd of June|
|2016||Sunday, 19th of June|
|2017||Friday, 9th of June|
|2018||Wednesday, 27th of June|
|2019||Sunday, 16th of June|
|2020||Friday, 5th of June|
|2021||Thursday, 24th of June|
|2022||Tuesday, 14th of June|
|2023||Saturday, 3rd of June|
|2024||Friday, 21st of June|