Electronic waste - How to dispose and recycle
Electronic waste or e-waste in a common parlance can be defined as the disposal of all types of electronic products that includes all types of electronic materials that are bound to be reused, salvaged, recycled, resold and disposed off.
The electronic products in the form of E-waste may be such items such as computers, office electronic equipment, Televisions, radio sets, electronic entertainment products, mobile phones, refrigerators etc. Experts opine that
e-waste amounting to 50 million tones and above are being generated globally each year.
The United States of America alone is estimated to discard about 30 million computers each year and Europe contributing about 100 millions of telephone instruments in the form e-waste.
What is E-Waste Management?
E-waste management is managing the e-waste by reusing, recycling, refurbishing the electronic products in a proper way without harming the natural and human environment. It is a fact that about seventy five percent of the
electronic products are stored due to ignorance and lack of knowledge about how to dispose off these electronic products.
All these electronic products lie unattended in the offices homes, warehouses etc or are ultimately disposed off at land filling areas or centers. This type of land filling does more harm to the environment. Thus it becomes necessary to take steps in proper management of E-waste.
Tips for proper E-Waste Management
The management of E-waste begins at the stage of manufacturing itself. The waste minimization techniques can be adopted by the manufacturing companies of these electronic products by adopting the following below mentioned techniques
- Product process modification
- Inventory management
- Volume reduction
- Recovery and reuse
For reduction of e-waste, experts suggest that the products must be made environment friendly during the product design itself and must keep the following below mentioned factors:
- Designing the product in such a way that it uses the least amount hazardous materials
- Using the renewable based materials and energy that means the raw material being used in manufacturing the product are made from plant based chemicals, are biodegradable, and using bio-plastics.
- Using safe non-renewable materials that are safer and can be reused repaired or upgradable is the best way of ensuring in the reduction of e-waste.
Tips for citizens about the disposal of E-Waste
Citizens are the end users of any product or service manufactured by industries and therefore some of the tips that a citizen must follow for safe and proper disposal of E-waste include:
- When buying any electronic product opt for those products that have fewer toxic parts in them.
- The products after their life cycle must be disposed of properly and comes under the preview of proper disposal of E-waste.
- They must buy only those products that are energy efficient.
- Attending awareness programs on E-Waste management being conducted by any institutions either government or private.
Thus, by following the above-mentioned tips, citizens can be part of E-waste management.