Plastic is now a regular material that is being used on a daily basis. Plastic is everywhere either in the form of food containers, financial transactions (Debit/Credit cards, plastic money), storage, baggage, stationary items, electronic and electrical products and every foreseeable item that a human being can think of. Plastic as a product is now like a regular feature of manufacturing, consumption, and service activities.
Why Plastic Management
Plastic is made up of various chemical elements and therefore is regarded as a highly contagious material that does not easily degrade in the natural environment after its usage or utility period. Therefore plastic management or plastic waste management involves the techniques to be used to manage the plastic waste in an environment friendly way and helping in the proper utilization of plastic material.
Environmental hazards due to plastic are:
- Littering of the landfills and other open spaces with plastic garbage becomes unhygienic and ugly,
- Littering of plastics in the form of plastic bags causes blocking of the cities, municipalities sewerage systems leads to spreading of water borne diseases and increasing the cost of sewage maintenance systems.
- Soil fertility is also affected due to plastic material as it forms part of manure remaining in the soil for years without natural degradation.
- Death of animals due to suffocation, stomach and intestine related diseases is a common feature mostly in developing economies due to improper disposal of plastic food bags that are eaten by these animals.
- Plastic waste is finding its way into the rivers, oceans and seas of the world due to which the rich marine life is facing serious health hazards. Marine animals like fish, sea birds, otters and other marine species are swallowing these plastic wastes as food items that are leading to a premature death of these precious marine species.
Pollution of environment by industries manufacturing the plastic materials is another serious issue that is facing the environmentalists and the governments globally. The manufacturers of plastic materials are polluting the environment by disposing of the plastic waste and chemicals used in the process of manufacturing plastic material into nearby water channels and open spaces thereby causing health hazards as well as environmental pollution in a vast area.
The laws requiring these manufactures to install anti-pollution machinery at their premises is not being strictly adhered to by these people.