Tips to deal with plastic waste
Plastic is now an integral part of the everyday activity of human life and one cannot out rule out the advantages of plastic but the disadvantages can be reduced to some extent if certain tips to deal with plastic waste are followed and these are:
- Plastic Recycling: Separating the plastic products from the garbage and at home and handling over this plastic for recycling can reduce the impact of environmental pollution due to plastic waste. Plastic
recycling industry is now a billion dollar industry in developed economies. Recycled plastic is usually used for laying down roads in place of bitumen, bottles, benches etc. Buying recycled plastic also helps with plastic
Related Link → Ideas for solid waste management
- Using incinerators: Plastic waste is being burned in incinerator centers located outside the city limits in developed economies and this practice is now being followed by developing economies as well. This technique eliminates huge volumes of plastic material but there are some concerns related with air pollution due to such burning but efforts are being made to improve technology to reduce such air pollution in future.
- Prohibition on manufacturing/selling of certain plastic material/bags: Some governments in the developed and developing countries has prohibited the manufacture and selling of plastic bags or material that contains more than the standard prescribed microns of plastic. By this way, the excessive dependence on plastic has been controlled to some extent. (Understand better about ill-effects of plastics.)
- Using paper bags and other cloth materials as shopping bags for a customer can be useful. It is suggested to use paper bags and bags made with cloth material such as jute, cotton etc while going for shopping or for purchasing grocery items. In this way, we as individuals can rely less on the plastic bags while going on a shopping spree.
- Implementing the best civic practices: As the citizens of a community or country the best tip for proper disposal of plastic is follow the below mentioned practices:
- Using garbage bins/dust bins at public places for disposing of the plastic water bottles, food containers and other plastic material.
- Avoid throwing plastic garbage in open spaces, public places, water channels, rivers, sea beaches and other fragile natural resources or environment.
- Follow the government regulations relating to plastic management and help the government agencies in dealing with plastic waste.
- Create awareness among the people about safe practices of plastic waste management and run a campaign if possible with the help of other agencies who are involved in plastic waste management programs.
Thus the use of plastics can be controlled and we can also give a lending heart for an effective waste management system.
Related Link → Smoking risk calculator