Asthma - Treatments, Prevention and Cure
Asthma is an inflammatory disease of the airway and mainly arises from allergies. Some of the common characteristics or symptoms of asthma are recurrent breathing problems, breathlessness, wheezing, chest tightness, coughing etc...
Asthma assessment test : Do you have asthma? Diagnose from symptoms
Asthma Treatment - Ayurvedic asthma treatment and cure
Know as Shwas Roga in Ayurveda, Asthma is a chronic condition involving the respiratory system in which one experiences shortness of breath.
Causes of asthma
The cause of asthma is unknown till date. Also it is not fully understood as to why asthma occurs in some but not in others. Asthma symptoms vary over time, and also differ from one individual to another. Some common causes of asthma are allergens from nature like house dust mite and cockroach, grass, pollen, foods, climatic changes, animals like cats, dogs etc.
Ayurveda classifies the causes of asthma into three based on the causative factors - Diet related factors, Work related factors and Other Factors
Dietary Treatments for Asthma
- Avoid fried and processed foods
- Avoid food such as rice, curds, buttermilk, sugar, lentils, heavy milk products like cheese, paneer etc...which has natural tendency to produce the phlegm or to accumulate the mucus
- Drink boiled water in plenty
- Avoid over eating . Take light dinner one hour before going to bed
- Avoid fruits such as guava, papaya, watermelon and banana
Home remedies for asthma treatment
- Take a mixture of 1 tablespoon of water and 2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice twice a day.
- Take a teaspoon of fresh ginger juice mixed with a cup of fenugreek decoction and honey to taste.
- Drink a glass of 2/3 carrot juice, 1/3 spinach juice, 3 times a day.
- Mix 10 - 15 drops of garlic juice in warm water and take internally.
- Grind to powder form - 2 gms each of Nagar (Nut grass, Cyperus rotundus) and Bharangi and mix them in water to prepare a paste which should be taken, with warm lukewarm water, twice daily.
- Mix 1 teaspoon honey with 1 teaspoon of Indian bay leaf (Cinnamomum tamala) powder and have it before going to bed at night. This will help you in preventing the attack of asthma at night.
- Take 10 cloves of garlic boiled with 30 ml of milk once a day.
- Make paste of Black resin,dates, long Pippli (Piper longum) and honey, in equal quantity.Take one teaspoonful of it morning and evening with warm milk.