Ayurveda is an ancient technique of treatment, originated in Indian thousands of years ago. Today it is popular not only in Asian region but many parts in the worlds for its efficacy in treatment of wide range of diseases. It makes use of natural herbs , exercise and meditative procedures in the treatment which are absolutely free of side effects. Ayurveda has proven to be equally effective in management of stress and strain related problems of life caused due to several reasons.
Online stress test : Are you under stress? Take this test to find out
Stress Management With Ayurveda
Stress is nothing but the body’s reaction to a situation. Faced with a emotionally or physically challenging situation the body adjusts itself and releases certain chemicals like adrenaline etc to cope better with the situation. This results in manifestations like pounding heart, perspiration or a flushed or reddened face. Small amounts of stress are actually considered to be beneficial and productive towards work, where in the person puts the extra effort to achieve his/her accomplishments. But chronic stress can affect the normal physical and mental functioning of the body and may lead to break down of certain bodily mechanisms.
Ayurveda Treatment for Stress Related Problems.
- Panchkarma techniques are found to be very useful in treatment of stress related problems. Panchkarma is a procedure which finds the cause of the problem and corrects it by balancing the doshas of the body. Suggested in stress related case are Abhyanga, Shiroabhyanga and Shirovasti.
- Brahmi is a herbal medication that balances the two hemispheres of the brain and activates the chakra of crown.
- Chandan (sandalwood) is calming agent which cools down the mind by satiating Pitta dosha.
- Ashwagandha is an important herb that is known to maintain the chemical balance in the brain and is a proven stress buster.
- A herb named Yashtimadhu enhances the cognitive functioning of the brain by improving various perception and memory related areas.
- Apart from the above herbs , the one that are used in the treatment of stress realted problems are Shankh Pushpi, Vacha,Amalaki and Guduchi.
In our day to day life we come across situations will cause strain to our body and the resulting pain might last for a few hours , few days or often for a longer period of time. The causes of body strains may include several reasons like trauma, irregularities in life style, insufficient rest or chronic pain causing diseases like arthritis and other joint pains.
Ayurveda believes that the cause of strain or pain in one’s body is related to energy imbalances and (imbalances in doshas) and are aggravated by several factors like dietary habits, lack of exercises and improper routines. Following are the recommendations made by Ayurveda to deal with strain related situations:
- A message of Ayurvedic oils in the affected part is greatly helpful is dissolving the impurities in the tissues and wash them in the blood flow, eventually eliminating the pain
- It is advisable to follow a dietary routine which facilitates easy digestion and absorption which again is helpful in maintaining a balance in doshas , lacking which will cause chronic strain related problems.
- Painful conditions are a result of vata imbalance and this can be reversed with the use of specific herbs , yoga positions and meditation.
- Managing your stress is also related with management of strained situations .Ayurveda recommends warm oil massages and certain yoga postures for good stress management.
- Ashwagandha, Celery, Bishop’s weed, Ginger , Garlic, Dandelion etc. are some of the herbs that are used to treat strain related conditions.