Ayurvedic Treatment and Home Remedies of Constipation
Constipation is a very common gastrointestinal disorder caused mainly due to wrong bowel habits. Constipation is a result of disturbance within the digestive tract which restricts regular bowel movements. Constipation may be infrequent elimination of stool for some people, for others it may be hard stool which is difficult to eliminate.
Causes of Constipation
Constipation is a result of faulty lifestyle and irregular eating habits. Faulty life style includes irregular sleeping habits, irregular eating habits, emotional disturbances and lack of physical activities or exercise.
Some of the root causes of constipation are the following:
- Not including enough leafy and green vegetables,salads etc in the diet
- Not having enough roughage or high fiber food in diet
- Insufficient intake of water
- Excessive intake of animal protein which are difficult to digest
- Excessive use of strong tea and coffee
- Use of liquors
- Lack of exercise or any other physical activity
- Irritable colon and rectum
- Intestinal problems delaying bowel movements
- Wrong eating habits like over eating, insufficient chewing etc.
Symptoms of Constipation
Symptoms of constipation is different for different people. However, the main symptom of constipation is the inability to pass stool even though there is a strong urge to do so.
Some of the common symptoms of constipation are the following:
- Difficulty in elimination
- Loss of appetite
- Coated tongue, foul breath, mouth ulcers
- Dizziness and Nausea
- Weight Loss
- Heaviness in the abdomen
Related Link → Constipation Home Remedies & Natural Treatment
Ayurvedic Treatment and Home Remedies for constipation
According to Ayurveda, constipation is a result of aggravation of Vata dosha, but sometimes it can also be caused by aggravation of Pitta and Kapha. Improper stool produces toxins which find their way into the blood stream from where they are
carried to all parts of the body. Understanding its symptoms is very important for better treatment of constipation.
The best treatment for constipation is to develop a proper eating habit and also a healthy lifestyle. Constipation can be best treated with proper dietary control and diet planning.
Dietary Control and Diet Planning for constipation
- Eat fiber-rich foods such as fruits and vegetables like papaya, orange, cabbage, beans, asparagus etc...
- Eat freshly cooked food with spices like cumin, coriander, turmeric, asafoetida etc.
- Chew food properly so that it will be easily digestible.
- Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water regularly. This will prevent dehydration thereby producing softer bowel movements.
- Eat plenty of leafy vegetables and salads.
- Drinking lemon juice mixed with warm water in the morning or prior to any meal is very useful in cleaning the bowel.
Lifestyle recommendation for constipation treatment
- Develop the habit of bowel evacuation early morning everyday.
- Develop a regular eating habit and chew the food before swallowing
- Do some exercise regularly
- Avoid smoking and alcoholism and also avoid drinking strong coffee/tea
- Try to have a tension free and relaxed mind.