Ayurveda is an ancient form of medication which has its roots in India and is trusted and used by people all over the world in current times also. The way Ayurveda works is, in spite of subduing the immediate cause causing a health problem it focuses on thorough well being of an individual using natural herbs, exercises and mediation and yogic procedures. Ayurvedic healing is based on the balancing of three important components which out body is formed of i.e. Vatta, Pitta and Kapha. Since dietary practices affect to a great deal the energies of the body, Ayurveda has its recommendations for proper food habits for a healthy and energetic life.
Classification of Food Types
Dietary practices and taking a well maintained diet is very important to the human body as it contain the nourishment or the nutrients that are helpful in carrying out the important metabolic and digestive functions of the body. Ayurveda classifies various foods in three different categories, which are mentioned as below:
- Spiritual quality of food (Saatvic)
Eating Saatvic food enriches out knowledge and spiritually elevates us
- Active quality of food (Rajasic)
Practice to eat these kinds of food provokes a man to lead a materialistic form of life and being selfish and hedonistic
- Material quality of food (Tamasic)
This kind of food is believed to be cause the most negative impact on a persons life, and shows him the way to develop devilish qualities
Ayurveda suggest having Saatvic form of foods which are good for your well being and prosperity. This kind of food brings in a balance between the three elements (doshas) in your life and you will be disease free and successful
What Kind of Food to Have?
Ayurveda believes that the diet should be different for every individual, because no two individuals are same. There are several parameters that need to be taken into account to decide upon the ideal diet for an individual like his tastes, efficiency and his/ her digestive system and metabolism functions etc. Nonetheless, there are a few common factors that we can always look upon while deciding out food habits
- Nutritional value of food items and benefits / problems of having them incorporate in your diet.
- Health quantity of food to intake.
- Combination of food and their impact as per Ayurveda.
- Effect of having a particular food item in a particular season or time of the day.
- Try to be as much natural and fresh as possible, avoid artificial colors and preservatives in your food.
Following Good Food Habits
In addition to the quality and type of food that you are taking, it is also important to incorporate some of the good dietary habits which will help you to remain fit and fine for a long duration of time. Consider these:
- Consumption of plenty of fluids is very necessary.
- Skipping meals is an unhealthy habit.
- Having water while you are having food should be avoided.
- Over eating or under eating and untimely eating, all are harmful.