Psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder of the skin results in hyper proliferation of the skin. It is a chronic skin disease characterized by dry skin and raised, rough, red areas on the skin covered with fine silvery scales. Psoriasis is non-infectious and it is often seen in people between 15 to 40 yrs of age.
What is Psoriasis, Causes and Types of Psoriasis
There are different types of psoriasis. They are :
- Plaque psoriasis - Patches of raised, reddish skin covered by silvery-white scale
- Psoriatic arthritis - Which causes inflammation of the joints.
- Guttate psoriasis - Small, red spots on the skin
- Pustular psoriasis - White pustules surrounded by red skin
- Inverse psoriasis - Smooth, red lesions form in skin folds
- Erythrodermic psoriasis - widespread redness, severe itching, and pain
Causes of Psoriasis
The exact cause of psoriasis is not known. It is believed that a combination of several factors contributes to the development of this disease.
Some common causes of psoriasis are the following:
- Psoriasis occurs when the immune system overreacts, causing inflammation and flaking of skin.
- Abnormality in the mechanism in which the skin grows and replaces itself causes psoriasis.
- Psoriasis develops when the immune system tells the body to over-react and accelerate the growth of skin cells.
- Heredity also plays a role in the development of psoriasis
- Environmental factors such as trauma, sunlight, infection, emotional stress, climatic changes etc also causes.
Symptoms of Psoriasis
The symptoms of psoriasis vary from person to person. Some of the common symptoms of psoriasis are the following:
- Raised, red patches of skin topped with loose, silvery scales, usually on the knees or elbows
- Thick, red patches known as plaques, and dry, silvery scales appearing on the scalp, face, elbows, knees, palms, and soles of the feet.
- Dry, cracked skin that may bleed
- Joint swelling, tenderness, and pain
- Thickened, pitted or ridged nails
Herbal treatment and Ayurvedic medicines for Psoriasis
Ayurveda believes that impurities in the blood associated with emotional factors are the cause of the disease. According to Ayurveda Psoriasis can be considered as the vitiation of Vata and Kapha.
Ayurvedic treatment for Psoriasis
Ayurveda suggests Panchakarma for the treatment of psoriasis. This is because detoxification of the body is very essential for the treatment of psoriasis.
Natural Herbal Treatment for Psoriasis
There is no treatment for psoriasis that can guarantee 100% result. A natural psoriasis treatment that may help one person may have no effect on another person. Psoriasis treatment requires strict dietary restrictions and life style practices.
Some effective natural psoriasis treatment, Precautionary tips and natural cure for psoriasis
- The use of curd in the form of buttermilk has proved useful in psoriasis and the patient should drink it in liberal quantities.
- Do not control natural urges like vomiting, urination, bowel emptying etc.
- Avoid taking spicy food and consume only easily digestible food.
- Do not eat too much of salty, sour or acidic foods
- Avoid consuming opposite foods
- Include more fruits, vegetable, fruit juices in your diet. Bitter gourd, curd, boiled vegetables, pumpkin etc... are good psoriasis diet.
- Avoid animal fats, eggs, processed canned foods from your diet.
- Application of avocado oil gently on the effected part is found to be an effective treatment.
- Cod liver oil, lecithin, linseed oil, vitamin E, and zinc fasten the healing process.
- Apply moisturizing cream or gel at regular intervals to maintain the moisture level of the skin.
- Avoid using soap while taking bath instead use gram flour and use a herbal scrubber.
- Avoid pricking, peeling and scratching skin
- Use separate, clean clothes and towel for your use.
- Taking bath in sea water is found to be very effective in psoriasis treatment.
- Drinking fresh bitter gourd juice mixed with one teaspoon of lime juice on an empty stomach is an effective psoriasis treatment
- Applying aloe vera cream thinly to irritated skin and rubbing lightly is effective.
- Mental health is absolutely necessary for an effective treatment of psoriasis. Try deep breathing and relaxation exercise to reduce stress.
- Exposing to mild sunlight daily for 30 minutes will improve the texture of the affected area of the skin.