Piles refer to a physiological condition whereby there is an inflammation of the vascular structures guarding the anal canal. Owing to the inflammation of the hemorrhoids or blood vessels guarding the anal passage; the pathogenic condition of piles develops.
Causes of Piles
- A number of factors are responsible for the development of piles.
- Irregularity in bowel movement with susceptibility towards constipation and diarrhea is one of the causes.
- Constipation aids the condition of piles by giving way to prolonged straining.
- Absence of fiber, imbalanced diet with insistence on junk food contributes towards piles.
- Hereditary factors may also be responsible for the pathogenic condition of piles.
- Pregnancy may well give rise to the condition of piles with the developing fetus exerting pressure on the vascular structures.
- Obese people and those prone to long hours of sitting are also more likely to develop piles.
- An obstruction or abnormal growth on the way to the anal canal can also lead to piles.
- Other factors contributing to the pathological condition of piles include age and vascular structure guarding the anal passage lacking in valves.
Types of Piles
- Piles can be broadly classified into two broad kinds on the basis of their locations.
- The ones located internally.
- The ones located externally.
Symptoms of Piles
- Piles which tend to affect elderly people, often turns out to be a major source of irritation.
- The one located externally are more painful than the internal ones.
- The external ones exist as painful inflammation or swelling.
- Internally located piles can be a source of extreme irritation when they tend to hang out through the anal passage.
- The ones located internally are susceptible to take on a necrotic form, whereby they develop into clots of blood. Necrotic ones are however quite painful.
- One of the most common clinical features of piles includes passage of blood along with stool.
- Along with bleeding itching and irritation may also persist.
Diagnoses of Piles
- The piles which exist in prolapsed form can be usually diagnosed by means of an external examination of areas surrounding the anal cavity.
- Proctoscpy usually serves to highlight the presence of internal piles.
- By means of proctoscopy the presence of tumors or polyps and that of an inflamed prostate are also detected as the detection is valuable in determining the line of treatment.
- Proctoscopy or anoscopy is usually performed with patients being subject to sedation.
Treatment for Piles
- The course of treatment which follows the findings of rectal examination includes the administration of anti inflammatory drugs of non steroidal nature.
- Traditional line of treatment is geared to the increased consumption of dietary fibers.
- If constipation happens to be the underlying cause, insistence is given on the inclusion of green and yellow vegetables apart from being well hydrated by increasing the fluid intake.
- Certain topical formula and suppositories are also available as treatment options; but long drawn usage of the same should be discouraged on account of their tendency to cause localized irritations.
- Generally surgical removal of the inflamed vessels is resorted to as the last possible alternative.
- Means based on cauterization and cryosurgery has also been found to be quite effective.
- Ligation with the help of rubber band is also resorted to so that the blood supply to the inflamed tissues can be cut off.
- Decartelization using an ultra sound Doppler has also been used so as to rectify the prolapsed structure of piles.
- Resectioning of the inflamed tissue which involves partial surgical interference is also made use of so that one can avoid the intensely painstaking procedure of total removal.
Self care and Natural Remedies for Piles
- Person suffering from piles should take all necessary steps so as to have his system well toned up.
- Apart from overcoming the draw backs of a sedentary life style by means of exercising and resorting to a few yogic postures, he should ensure for himself a regulated life style consisting of balanced diet, normal sleep and regularized bowel habits.
- Sufficient helpings of fruits, yellow and green vegetables will help to overcome the conditions of constipation- a condition which aids the existence of piles.
- Besides these a number of natural options, which particularly serve to overcome the painful conditions of piles are also available.
- One such herbal option includes the use of dry figs and that of chebulic myroblan. There are others making use of a wide variety of natural stuffs including mango seeds, grated radish and turnip.
- As part of the naturopathic option, diet centering merely on fruits is also recommendable. The fruit centric diet serves significantly in overcoming the malady of constipation besides giving rest to the digestive system.
- Regular consumption of unsweetened curd , avoiding spicy food items and those of synthetically flavored drinks also rank amongst some of the healthy options so that the menace of piles can be avoided.