Among the various kinds of acne, the ones produced as a result of blockage caused to the pores of skin's middle layer are known as Pimples. More prone to affecting the face, pimples may also appear on chest and back. Usually they appear as spots showing significant swelling.
Causes of Pimples - What Causes Pimples?
- Increase in the production of sebum by the sebaceous glands leads to the overgrowth of pimples and acne.
- It is generally caused in puberty with the heightened secretion of androgen and other sex hormones.
- With oil trapping to block the pores of the skin's middle layer, pimples result.
- Sebum produced by sebaceous glands contains bacteria which in turn contribute to causing inflammations in pimples.
- Besides the above mentioned reasons, the factors of heredity, dirt, and consumption of oily and junk food also contribute to pimples.
- Inadequate cleansing of cosmetics resulting to the formation of oily layer aids and aggravates the conditions of pimples.
- Mechanical pressure exerted on face by means of helmet and straps also contribute to the growth of pimples.
- Pimples may also result as side effects of certain medications.
- Triple combination of hormone related activity, accumulation of dead cells of the skin and that of bacterial tissues lead to the outgrowth of pimples.
Types of Pimples
- Pustules- It is a cutaneous condition whereby a tiny elevation is formed. The elevations which can be either white or red consist of inflammatory cells. Pustules contain fluid made up of necrotic particles.
- Papules- They present a look of solid elevations containing no fluid. Manifesting a wide variety in size, they are painfully irritating.
Symptoms of Pimples
- Pimples present themselves as raised elevations of different sizes and shapes.
- They may or may not contain fluid.
- They show swelling or inflammation making the underlying tissue red.
- In spite of affecting the face, other areas including chest and back may be similarly affected.
Treatment for Pimples
- Topical use of antibiotic in the form of benzol peroxide may control the growth of pimples.
- Salicyclin acid and Triclosan may prove to be equally effective.
- Application of the mentioned medications is usually preceded by washing of face with tolerably warm water and patting it dry.
- Medication should be applied to the pimples and the surrounding areas should be spared.
- Washing face with anti bacterial soap has also been found to be effective.
Self Care and Beauty Regimen to Reduce Pimples
- With pimples mostly affecting the facial beauty, it is of utmost importance that one adopts a carefully planned beauty regimen so as to prevent their outgrowth.
- First and foremost cleansing of face with water and oil free cleanser is of utmost importance. Cleansing helps the pores to breathe freely besides helping you remove the dead skin cells trapping the facial pores.
- Wash your face at least thrice a day to keep your skin healthy and breathing.
- In case you need to use foundation and other associated cosmetics; do remember to have it thoroughly removed.
- Opt for an herbal moisturizer that does not have a base in oil.
- Even after the pimples disappear, blemishes may stay on because they take long time to wither completely.
- But poking or fingering the areas affected will only serve to aggravate the conditions.
- You can use anti bacterial concealer to hide the affected areas. But make sure that they do not contain oily base.
- Facial pack or musk based on mud helps substantially in the withering of pimples. So you can go for a mud based facial pack.
- Washing of face with a small amount of turmeric paste or powder will prove to be counterproductive for pimples as turmeric is endowed with anti septic properties to fight bacteria causing pimples.
- Bathing in water enriched with boiled neem leaves will also be equally effective.
- Besides following a beauty regimen, make sure to drink plenty of water so that your system is thoroughly de toxified.
- Include food enriched with Vitamin A, C and antioxidants to counter the effects of pimples.
- Avoid junk food and carbonated drinks instead opt for sufficient helpings of cherries, tomatoes, oranges and apples.
It should be borne in mind that it is natural for teen agers to have pimples. Generally they tend to wither as one crosses the thresh hold of teen age; but with a bit of self care and dietary guidelines they can be avoided.