We relate ourselves to this world by means of our sense organs but among all five sense organs our eyes play a vital role to relate ourselves to this beautiful world as well as to take evasive actions while facing physical dangers. Thus eye care is essential from the birth to death. Let us discuss the different eye problems that occur in various age groups and how to take care of them.
Eye Care Tips for Babies and Infants
- Parents must visit an ophthalmologist to check the baby’s eyes for any problems even it is small or complicated.
- For eye infection use antibiotic eye drops as prescribed by an eye specialist and keep it safe from people with eye infection.
- Tear ducts which are blocked are another serious problem in babies some babies are born with it. It causes tears to be retained in eyes. Massage therapy can be a solution for minor problem. In critical cases eye surgery is required.
- Cataracts although rare are again seen in babies and even the newborns. If it is acute surgical removal is required.
- Strabismus or the problem of misaligned eyes can be detected and treated with early examinations.
- Lazy eye syndrome is again a common ailment of baby eyes. This happens because their vision is not clear. Consult an eye doctor as soon as possible .
Related Article → Natural eye care tips for computer users
Eye Care Tips for Growing Children
- Diet is very essential for a healthy eye. Food reach in beta-carotene and having vegetables like carrots, fresh fruits yellow -orange fruits like papaya , orange are good for eyes.
- A child should avoid the direct glare of light and read or work under light which is diffused or shielded.
- While using computer or looking at a television, make sure that the room is well lit.
- A child should watch television from a distance of at least four meters. The computer screen should be placed at eye level. The distance between eye and screen should be eighteen inches.
- Prolonged exposure to computer screen can harm our children’s sight.
- Use water tight swimming goggles to prevent water infection while swimming.
- Harmful UV rays are cause of various eye diseases like glaucoma and cataract. So it is advisable to invest in a good pair of sun glass that protects UV rays completely.
- A child should wear a protective polycarbonate eye glass while playing a ball game to avoid serious damage to one’s eyes.
Related Article → Eye care tips for healthy and beautiful eyes
Adults Eye Care - Diet and Care for Healthy Eyes
- Include foods reach in vitamins A, E, AND C in your diet.
- Food reach in beta-carotene and having vegetables like carrots, fresh fruits yellow -orange fruits like papaya , orange are good for eyes.
- Use a good pair of UV protected sunglass.
- One must limit one’s prolonged exposure to computer although it will not damage the eyes but it will cause various ailments like red eyes, dry eyes, eye fatigue etc.
- Use anti glare screen for computers and laptops.
- Washing regularly and keeping eyes clean is essential.
- One must not touch eye with unclear hands if irritation is caused due to a foreign body in the eyes.
- The most important tip for an adult as regards eye care is that he or she must get his or her eyes regularly checked my an ophthalmologist for early detection or any serious eye diseases.
- Wearing a correct pair of lens is also essential for a well functioning eye.
- It is advisable not to share makeup for eyes with anyone else. It might cause infections.
- Protect contact lenses from contamination as it can passively contaminate the eyes.
Eye Care During Old Age
One of the greatest maladies of old age is health problems. Eye problem might rank among the most severe of the problems in aged people often taking severe proportions. The reduction in sight is a very common problem near sightedness and far sightedness are very common problems causing a lot of frustrations thus one must take care of one’s eyes when they are old. Some tips to care for their eyes are as follows:
- Go for regular eye checkups for early detection or any serious eye diseases.
- Get a good and correct pair of eye glass.
- Laser eye surgery or Lasik surgery could be done to correct vision and remove eye glass.
- Harmful UV rays are cause of various eye diseases like glaucoma and cataract. So it is advisable to invest in a good pair of UV protected sunglass.
The above discussion burns down to a solid conclusion that our eyes which can be called the doorway of vision to the outside world should be handled with utmost care and top priority should be given to take care of this pair of precious possession at all ages. A regular visit to the optician, protecting eyes from any potential damage is also very important. The greatest need of the hour is educating the mass about what functions the eyes perform and how they should be taken care of. A regular eye camp at the schools affords early detection of eye diseases and special seminars should be conducted at schools by trained doctors educating the children about eye care. If this is done regularly eye diseases can be reduced to a great extent in future.