Heartburn which is a manifestation of gastrointestinal disorder is marked by a burning feeling in the chest. Primarily felt in and around the chest, the sensation may extend to neck and jaw as well. The cause of heartburn may be traced to the regurgitation of gastric reflux. Also caused as a result of infection caused by Helicobacter Pylori; over eating and consumption of food rich in fat or acid content may also give way to heartburn.
Marked by a regurgitation or reversal in the normal procedure of digestion, with stomach acid enhancing the process of reversal, heartburn is mainly treated with antacids. But excess of antacids may also prove to be disastrous so certain naturopathic means may well turn out to be effective.
Heart Burn Natural Treatment - Home Remedies for Heart Burn
Given below are natural treatments for Heart Burn. These simple heart burn home remedies that work and most of these tips are very effective and are heart burn remedies that work.
- People susceptible to heartburn should avoid lying down immediately after meal. At least an hour’s gap should be ensured between the two. Rather than going for two or three heavy meals; one can take five to six light meals a day.
- After eating one should stay upright. Food should be taken in moderate amounts so that the functions of stomach acid may be balanced and not cause regurgitation.
- Food should be well chewed so that enzymes secreted may facilitate digestion.
- Certain beverages such as carbonated drinks, caffeine and alcohol triggering acid reflux should be avoided. Similarly analgesics with their ‘ibuprofen’ content trigger the same reflux. So pain killing tablets should be avoided.
- Steps should be taken to restrict the contents of stomach. Just as overeating should be avoided, drinking water along with meals should be similarly avoided. Because by that way the fluid content of stomach is enhanced. Ideally water should be drunk after ten to fifteen minutes of meal. But sufficient amount of water should be taken to neutralize the acid that contributes to gastro-esophageal reflux.
- Though one is advised against taking citrus fruits in cases of heartburn for adding to the acid formation, natural juices of fruits such as pear, mango, papaya and guava are indeed beneficial for cases of heartburn. The juice extracted from the mentioned fruits serve to cool stomach which in turn relieves heart burn.
- Yogurt based buttermilk also serves to relief the system from the menacing acids which contribute to heart burn.
- While warm milk with its lactose content may add to acid formation; cold milk free from lactose can be a major relieving agent.
- Instead of going for refined rice or flour; brown rice bland in taste should be opted for. With its blandness and content of complex carbohydrate, it is less likely to cause relaxation in the sphincter muscles.
- Raw as well as stewed apples are good as natural remedial option. Even chilled honey or jelly made out of apples and sweet pumpkins is effective for relieving the burning effects of heartburn. Taking apple after dinner may prove to be relieving for patients down with chronic heartburns.
- A broth made from ginger or sage with simmering of one and a half tea spoon of the herbs in a cup full of water will serve to relieve you from heartburns caused by acid indigestion.
- A decoction made out of equal measures of apple vinegar and honey in a cup full of warm water is equally effective in cases of heartburn.
- To opt for an immediate relief easy chewing of a few blanched almonds will come in handy.
- While black tea should be avoided by patients down with heart burn, a good alternative can be found in herbal tea. Peppermint tea and Chamomile tea may be recommended as herbal options.
- Juice of Aloe vera also comes as a good option in healing the acid reversal of the digestive tract.
- The similar is true for juice made out of raw potato. You may even have it as add on to some other juice.
- You can also prepare your own antacid with the desired mixing of one forth tea spoon of baking soda with one table spoon of vinegar and four ounces of water. Despite tasting bad, the effects will be relieving.
- You may even go for mixing one tea spoon of food soda with four table spoons of chilled water for immediate relief.
- Unprocessed honey and apple vinegar are said to be equally relieving for instantaneous easing of irritations caused by acid reflux. A tea spoon of acid vinegar on experiencing the symptoms of heartburn or intake of the same amount half an hour before meals are said to be beneficially relieving. Acid reflux triggering regurgitation may also be caused by little acidic content of stomach. Cider vinegar obviously is helpful in those cases. Honey with its inherent healing property serves to revive the affected tissues.
A cardiac condition known as ‘ischemic heart’ may also give rise to heart burn. Medical Care should be taken to rule out possibilities of cardiac abnormality making way for heart burns.