Natural Home Remedies For Cough
Contamination and inflammation of cells lining the respiratory tract leads to coughing. Mucus secreting cells lining the lung’s air passage are susceptible to excess mucus secretion on being contaminated or infected. The increased mucus secretion causes irritation in the air passage which in turn gives way to coughing. By way of coughing, the excess amount of mucus secreted is released.
Caused on account of infection leading to inflammation of pharynx, or larynx; contamination of the bronchial tubes by foreign waste is also one of its causes. Cough may also manifest itself as an allergic reaction to dust, pollen grains and smoking. To define scientifically coughing is a reflexive reaction caused by the stimulation of sensory nerves lining the respiratory tract. The treatment of coughing which may be either dry or phlegm based should ideally aim at curing its original cause; but in addition to the course of treatment resorted to certain natural home based remedies may prove to be effective as well.
Related Link → Read more about cough
Home Remedy for Cough - Natural Treatment for Coughing
- Lemon tea with a dash of ginger may prove to be one of the easiest home based remedies for curing prolonged spells of cough. The medicinal properties of ginger suppress various respiratory ailments like common cough and cold. With its soothing element, it helps to keep the body well hydrated which acts as an antidote to coughing. The ascorbic acid contained in lemon helps to neutralize the phlegm content of coughing. The tea leaves may be boiled with juice of grated ginger being added to it. Thereafter juice of lime may be added on to it to be sipped piping hot.
- Honey with its analgesic (pain killing) properties is also known since time immemorial for its soothingly refreshing effects on patients down with cough. One tea spoon of honey may be added to any hot beverage like tea or milk to be drunk at regular intervals. But honey works wonders if blended with hot water and lemon. Lemon juice may be mixed with honey in proportion of one is to two. The resulting mixture may be mixed with little hot water so that you can have one to two tea spoons of it at least after every hour. The resulting mixture will not only help clear mucus but it will also keep your throat well soothed.
- Honey acts as a topical anti biotic suppressing the bacterial causes of cough. If one is prone to the disgusting phenomena of night coughing two tea spoons of raw honey taken after dinner will work significantly towards reducing cough.
- A spoonful of natural honey may be enriched with black pepper to be had twice a day.
- If you are unable to take raw honey, you may add two spoons of it to a glass of carrot juice. Dilute the juice of four to five carrots with water. Drink the concoction at least thrice a day to soothe yourself from cough.
- Two spoons of honey may be added to a glass full of aloe vera juice purchased from a pharmacist’s. The said concoction helps drastically in reducing dry cough.
Related Link → Common cold natural treatment tips
- Inhaling steam will give you a refreshing feeling aiding the release of mucus in the affected passage. Thus it is one of the most scientific processes helping one in the recovery of throat. Inhaling vapor accompanied by sipping the concoction of lime, water and honey will prove to be doubly effective.
- Including grapes in your diet also ensures redemption from cough, because the expectorant nature of grapes helps not only in toning the lungs but also activates the release of mucus from the affected parts of respiratory organs. In cases of cough being triggered on by asthma, grapes play a beneficial role in the healing process with its enriched phytochemical contents. Grape juice with a spoonful of honey will be relieving and effective as well.
- Gurgling in salt water always proves to be beneficial in offering relief to an infected or an itchy throat aggravated by coughing. But for an effective change one may resort to gurgling in spinach juice after extracting and warming the same with a dash of salt.
- Herbal tea enriched with basil and aniseed may turn out to be soothingly effective as a homemade remedy for sore throat.
- Nutritionally resourceful almonds also play a proactive role in the healing of cough. Paste made out of soaked almonds can be had with a touch of butter for relief from cough.
- Another medicinal herb in turmeric is also known for its therapeutic effect on cough particularly the dry one. After roasting and powdering of its root, the powder can be had at least twice a day after being duly combined with water and honey.
- A sauce of raisin, water and sugar or honey may be prepared and preserved at home for serving as a homemade expectorant against cough. Equal measures of raisin and sugar/honey may be boiled in water until it acquires a sauce like consistency. Two table spoons taken daily will help to cure cough.