One of the major ills of the modern lifestyle is increase in obesity. The sedentary habits, often coupled with unhealthy eating habits like too much of junk foods and needless calories have increased the tendency of being overweight in the population. According to several studies, the world is in the grip of an obesity epidemic. However, dieting often turns out to be expensive or simply too much trouble. Instead, you can adopt a few simple home remedies which can significantly lower your calorie intake and help you to fight obesity.
Recent data shows that obesity is becoming a major problem. According to one survey, 25% of the American population (more than 97 million) are either obese or overweight with the numbers being equally divided among men and women. Childhood obesity is also on the increase, which leads to greater risk in the future.
The risks of obesity
The unhealthy increase of body weight poses serious health risks. Some of these are as follows:
- The heart has to work harder, but cholesterol accumulation makes it difficult for the veins and arteries to function properly. So, the risks of heart diseases increase.
- Obesity is a major factor behind type II diabetes.
- Extra weight places extra pressure on joints and bones, increasing the risk of pain and arthritis.
- Sleep apnoea and respiratory problems are common in obese people.
- Obesity vastly increases the risk of infertility or miscarriage among women.
- It has a serious psychosocial impact leading to social withdrawal, depression and other psychological problems.
Simple home remedies for weight loss
Here are some simple steps to help in weight loss. Just make sure that you are burning more calories than what you are taking in and it will lead to weight loss. However, crash diets are often seen to be of temporary benefit only. Instead, you can try these remedies:
- Take a spoonful of natural honey with lukewarm water in the morning on empty stomach. This helps to flush the fat from your system.
- Green tea is full of anti oxidants and also helps to flush the body. But for the best effects, it is necessary to have it without sugar.
- Take 3 tbsp of honey and mix with 2 tbsp of juice of ginger. If necessary, you can dilute it with a little lukewarm water. Drinking this mixture twice a day helps to get rid of fat fast.
- Include lots of carrots and cucumber in your diet. Have them early in the morning and incorporate them in salad. Cucumber is rich in anti oxidants and various vitamins which help to break down fats. Carrots also contain lots of vitamins as well as have lots of fibre.
- Start your day with a glassful of juice of bottle gourd. It has zero calories but is full of fibre.
- Apple cider vinegar has been found to be effective for weight loss. Drink 1 tsp every day for best results.
- Parsley juice is another effective weight loss remedy. It also detoxifies your body.
- Cranberry juice mixed with lemon or vinegar is also effective in burning fat.
- Dandelion tea is an age old effective remedy to get rid of excess fluid weight.
- Eating a mixture of cayenne pepper and ginger regularly also help to get rid of excess fats.
- Raw onions can break down stubborn fats. Eat some raw onions with your meals to reduce weight.
- Eating papaya regularly in the morning can also help to lose weight.
Some simple tips for weight loss
In addition to incorporating the above foods in your diet, here are a few tips that you can follow to get rid of excess calories:
- Steam vegetables instead of frying them. Grill meat.
- Cut away the fats from the meat. Use lean meat.
- Use evaporated skim milk instead of cream.
- Use of non stick cooking utensils and non-stick cooking spray reduces fat considerably.
- Eat egg white omelette instead of the yolk.
- Avoid desserts. Opt for fruits which are high in sugar.