Character Development in Children - Age 1 to 2 Years
This stage is defined as the stage of Aggression.Called so because if your baby never bite,hit or kick you at least once in this age,then you need to interpret more.
This is the general behavior of kids at this stage. Kindness is the major tool of building up discipline in the kid.
Aggressiveness is shown usually when the kid is tired or hungry. And it is often seen that some parents are rude to these actions of the kid. For them, it will be wise to think and make sure that you don't show a rude character in front of your baby.This is because it is highly probable that the kid may be copying your character.
- Go for punishments to make them aware of the consequences of being aggressive. See, now you all may be thinking this is a contradiction to what said, that never be rude, right? This is the area you need to improve. Friends, there are other ways too. See, take the kid's favorite toy and ask him to stop being aggressive,you think that wont work?
- Try to teach empathy-by saying "How it will feel if i do that to you".Actually,this prevails for a much grown child that can understand your acts.
- Like taking away the toy,you can also reward the kid for the co-operation.This also help to create a moral in the kid's mind.
- Divert him to other activities.This is actually a precaution,may not be a correction. In fact, if the kid diverted to outdoor playing,he wont have the energy to be aggressive.
- The 2 year olds are led by their curiosity, don't squelch it, it's the way they learn. Encourage your child's explorations in safe ways.
- Watch for your kid's signal to show he is hungry,tired or frustrated and try to anticipate them in advance.
- This is a special note on handling bites.Kids bite because they haven't yet developed the coping skills to deal with stress appropriately or the verbal skills to express their needs.One possible solution is to show disagreement to the act by saying "Don't Do it!" in a loud voice.Another better way is to comfort the victim and show the kid that the act is bad and others are concerned about that.That is to create an empathy.