Master blaster Sachin Tendulkar Tuesday broke his silence over his Rajya Sabha nomination, saying he was honoured by the Indian government's offer but he would always remain a sportsman and not a politician.
"It is an honour when the President nominates your name. I was excited to be nominated," Tendulkar said at a ceremony here where he was felicitated for making 100 international hundreds.
The 39-year-old acknowledged that he was honoured for his outstanding contribution to cricket and said he will try his best to improve the standard of all sports in the country.
"I would definitely like to contribute in the field of sports because that is my expertise and I will need your (fans) help."
"I believe President (Pratibha Patil) has chosen me after recognising what I have done for over 22 years," he said referring to greats in other fields like singer Lata Mangeshkar and actor Prithviraj Kapoor.
The batting legend's entry into Rajya Sabha has evoked mixed reactions with some raising concerns whether Tendulkar will be able to give time to the high-profile job while playing for India.
Tendulkar, who was also given the honorary rank of Group Captain in the Indian Air Force in 2010, was nominated by the government for a seat in the upper house of parliament last week alongside actress Rekha and industrialist Anu Aga.
Asked what keeps him going despite two-decades in international cricket, Tendulkar said: "I am passionate about cricket. Cricket is my life. Keep praying for me so that I can derive strength from it."