Brazil midfielder Ganso signs with Sao Paulo

Syndicated from IANS | Published on Sat, Sep 22 2012 11:24 IST | 15 Views | Add comment
Rio De Janeiro, Sep 22

Sao Paulo ended months of speculation by announcing the signing of Brazil international midfielder Paulo Henrique Ganso.

The 22-year-old's former club Santos reportedly agreed to a $12 million fee which hands 32 percent of the player's economic rights to Sao Paulo. The remaining 68 percent is held by investment group DIS, reports Xinhua.

In a video broadcast on Sao Paulo's official website, Ganso said he was already thinking about winning silverware with his new club.

"I'm grateful for the effort Sao Paulo has made in signing me and now all I want to do is repay that as soon as possible," Ganso said. "I came here to create history and win trophies."

The five-year deal was confirmed after Ganso passed a routine medical examination at Sao Paulo's Hospital do Coracao Friday.

It followed months of uncertainty about the playmaker's future after he rejected a new contract offer from Santos in June.

"Ganso showed throughout the negotiations a great willingness to join this club," Sao Paulo football director Adalberto Baptista said.

"He gave up big things and was firm in his desire. If it wasn't for his desire we would have given up."

Ganso, who joined Santos as a 15-year-old prodigy in 2005, is hoping the move will revive his stalled career.

Until earlier this year he was considered one of Brazil's brightest prospects and had reportedly been pursued by European giants like AC Milan, Inter Milan and Tottenham Hotspur.

Last year national coach Mano Menezes entrusted him with the country's prized No.10 shirt at the Copa America tournament in Argentina.

But a series of injuries and indifferent form have seen him usurped in the national team by Chelsea sensation Oscar, who has also claimed the No. 10 shirt.

Sao Paulo officials said Ganso was expected to make his debut for the club in two weeks.

Add Your Comment

Enter your name and email below and post your comment.

Enable Images

Visitor Comments

There are no comments. Be the first one to add a comment.