Pongal | Green Gram Sambar | Lentil | Rice Khichdi | Sambar Recipes | Tiffin Recipes | Breakfast | Vegetarian
Recipe Servings : 4
Preparation Time : 1 hour
Cuisine : Indian
Make this Pongal festival much more enjoyable and healthier with this Pongal Sambar. It is unique in taste and texture from the conventional sambar. A great way to enjoy this vegetarian lentil curry not only on Pongal (A Tamil harvest festival), but also on those special days when you crave for some simple comfort food.
How to Make Traditional Pongal Sambar / Pasi Paruppu Sambar In Tamil
- Place washed split moong dal in the pressure pan.
- Add turmeric powder, asafoetida, water, green chili, into the dal. Close with lid, and cook for about 25 minutes or about 10 whistles.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan. Once hot, add cloves, cinnamon, onions and tomatoes and stir fry on medium heat until everything turns mushy.
- Pour the cooked moong dal into this tomato mix.
- Add salt and sambar powder as per your taste, mix and let it boil for about 10 minutes. You can garnish with chopped corainder leaves if you like.
- Serve hot with venn pongal.
Though this is a special sambar made during Pongal, you can always enjoy it at any time of the year. Team it up with hot rice or those fluffy idlis and dosas and enjoy a breakfast, lunch or dinner that is 100% nutritious.