Dessert | Ghee | Indian | Pongal | Sweet Rice Pudding | Tamil Nadu Recipes | Vegetarian
Recipe Servings : 4
Preparation Time : 40 Minutes
Cuisine : Indian
This is sweet rice pudding that is made in Tamil Nadu during the Pongal festival. It is even offered as prasad (sweet offering to the God) during Pongal and other religious functions. The name ‘Pon’ denoted gold, and so does the look of this delicious sweet jaggery based rice pongal. Make a batch and see how it finishes fast!
How to Make Sweet Pongal/ Sakkarai Pongal Recipe
- Place washed split moong dal in the pressure pan. Also place washed rice in the pan.
- Pour about 2-3 cups water into this, cover with lid and cook upto 10 whistles. Keep aside to cool a bit.
- Meanwhile, heat a kadai, or saucepan, add grated jaggery and ¼ cup water and melt it at a low flame.
- Allow the jaggery to boil and bubble properly, Stir in between to ensure that there are no lumps in the melted mix.
- Strain through a sieve and keep aside.
- Next, take a small frying pan, pour one tablespoon ghee and allow it to melt. Fry the cashew nuts and raisins until they are light golden brown.
- Open the lid of the pressure pan. With the help of a ladle, mash the rice and dal mix until it gets to a coarse mushy paste.
- Heat the pressure pan on a low flame. Strain the melted jaggery into this dal mix. Mix well until everything is properly combined. Let the mix keep boiling.
- Pour in two tablespoon of ghee. Mix well.
- Add the Elaichi powder and mix well. Keep stirring or else it will stick to the bottom of the pressure pan.
- Finally add the cashew nuts and the raisins and mix well.
- Cool a bit and then serve warm.
This recipe calls for jaggery, but in case you are not able to get it, try a variant sweet rice pudding with sugar. Of course, the taste will differ. Another exciting option is to use brown sugar. For spices, you can add a pinch of nutmeg powder, or dry ginger powder and give a whole new dimension to the sweet.