<!--Your Photo Description-->
While considering a marriage alliance, the Hindu custom does not allow the tying of the knot until the ten poruthams are studied by matching the horoscopes of the couple who desires to be joined in matrimony. Only in cases of a love affair or marriage contemplation between a boy and a girl of an older age group, the application of the porutham can be omitted.
Porutham (or koota) is computed using the jathakam or kundali which are drawn based on the birth stars and the janam rashi of the boy and the girl in question. Originally, 20 poruthams were charted by the sages but today only ten poruthams suffice to come to a decision whether the boy and the girl who wish to marry should go ahead with it or not.
Each porutham is significant according to different aspects of a person's mind, body and personality, and the effects of each are considered one by one.
Jathaka Porutham : Check your jathaka porutham for marriage
The ten poruthams considered today are:
- Dina Porutham - good health and prosperity
- Gana Porutham - matching of temperaments
- Rajju Porutham - husband’s long life
- Rasi Porutham - continuation of progeny
- Yoni Porutham - sexual compatibility
- Vedha Porutham - ward of evil and pitfalls
- Vasya Porutham - compatibility between the zodiac signs
- Mahendra Porutham - progeny in a larger measure
- Stree deerga Porutham - accumulation of wealth and prosperity
- Rasiyathipaty Porutham - compatibility between birth stars
The elders and the parents of both the girl's and the boy's family come together to study and match the kundli or jathakam for porutham.
Porutham considers the natural tendencies of the boy and the girl based on the horoscopes, and accordingly the marriage of the two can be matched. The following five matches out of ten are considered important: Gana, Rajju, Dina, Rasi and Yoni and out these five, Rajju and Dina are given the greatest importance.
Kundli Matching : Find marriage compatibility of bride & groom through kundli matching