As platforms of higher learning- universities of India fall under the following categories.
- Union universities or Central Universities in India - constituted in accordance with the parliamentary act- directly under the control of Union Government
- State universities - controlled by the respective state governments.
- Deemed university - with the power of autonomy.
- Private universities- approved by University Grant Commission- one of the leading affiliating bodies. They are not eligible to have colleges under their purview
- Agricultural universities & technical forums- imparting vocational training and technical knowledge.
Ways to find the best universities
Points of fundamental essentiality while choosing a college or university
- See for yourself- Rather than go by hearsay, make a comparative analysis of different Indian universities. Visit their respective websites to find out about infrastructure, management, examinational details and how much it has to offer to your course of learning.
- Situational details- Location of the chosen university also matters because accordingly you will have to arrange for necessary modes of communication.
- Quality of performance- One of the most important yardsticks as it serves to reflect on the techniques guiding knowledge transfer. Again in this respect dependence on print media and websites will help you assess the exact picture.
- Method of evaluation- It is important to know if examinations are held on a regular basis; or political activism disturbs the same.
- Facilities for campus interview- Technical institutions as well those catering to general study have been gradually becoming oriented towards job prospects. This in turn is leading universities to encourage corporate bodies to hold campus selection. Keeping this in mind it is important that the prospective student keeps track of the same.
Points which should be kept in mind while choosing a College/University for pursuing degree course.
- Criteria for admission.
- Facilities for scholarship and financial aids.
- Whether or not the criteria of seat reservation works in your favor.
- Respective in-house amenities.
- Relevance of the university in the International context.
Ways to be judicious and pragmatic while choosing a university
- It makes sense choosing one of the better ones where you can avail the benefit of scholarship /reservation.
- For students of the average category, it is advantageous if they persist with higher education from the state to which they belong.
- In case you happen to have graduated from a particular college, it is more sensible to seek admission in the university affiliating your college.
- But in case, you are keen as well as eligible for specialized study of technical excellence there is meaning to consider inter university transfer.
- If you are meritorious enough to be loaded with multiplicity of choices; do consider the ranking or grading pattern.
- It is important to avoid states or provinces lagging behind in literacy, rather it is sensible going to states advanced in literacy; providing due facilities for development of resources.
Points to be kept in mind while choosing technical and management institutes for degree courses and higher studies.
- It is important to keep in mind the grading pattern; because there are different modes of categorization to set one apart from the other.
- Grading pattern is directly relevant to their respective standards.
- In case one is keen to specialize in the so called off beat lines such as sculpting, dancing, agriculture and film making; it is important to choose institutes /universities particularly catering to those.
Rating of universities
There are standardized methods of rating, leading to their respective categorization. Several yardsticks are kept in mind so as to rate universities on merits of their strength. There are nationalized as well as internationally significant standards of rating. Despite, their relative differences, they are designed to benefit the prospective students seeking admission. Rating is directly relevant to the qualitative output of the university. Thus, it plays an important role when it comes to the question of choice.
Yardsticks/categories borne in mind while rating- In general by means of the following standards universities are rated. Depending on the university's conformation to the following standards they are either given 'star' rating or graded in categories such as A, A+, B,++ and so on.
- Quality of teaching
- Scope and facilities for research
- Facilities for employability
- Infrastructural facilities
- Use of innovative ways with regard to knowledge transfer
- International relevance
- Scope for specialization
- Its relevant role in community development
Recognition & accreditation of Universities in India By UGC
Indian universities are duly affiliated by University Grant Commission or UGC. Usually those listed under central, state, deemed and private categories are all recognized by UGC. The body also has a coordinating role to play.
Accreditation is also accorded by various professional councils- Several technical and professional councils are there as well. Deriving their respective power from the laws of the land; they serve to co- ordinate as well as authorize the functioning of different technical institutes. For instance, institutes dealing with agricultural study should bear the due recognition of ICAR( Indian Council Of Agricultural Research)