Civil Service aspirants leave exam centres after appearing in Civil Services Aptitude Test (CSAT) in New Delhi on Aug 24, 2014.
An Online University Course is a novel alternative in cases
- When you are physically unable to make it to the traditional one.
- You could not qualify for a regular course.
- You are particularly keen on a special line of study; not otherwise available.
- Cut off from the mainstream because of geographical distance.
- If you are earning as well as working.
How to go about your choice of best online universities ?
Look up the respective websites of each online university
- To compare and contrast.
- Go by the stream of choice; rather than respective reputation.
- Find out about the council recognizing the respective university
- The same holds true for the chosen course.
- Find out the fee structure.
Assess online universities based on certain predefined criteria. Try to assess
- The respective modalities of evaluation.
- If the syllabus is vast and all embracing.
- If the reputation of the course is good enough to help you earn a job.
- Criteria of admission guiding the respective universities.
- If the syllabus is exactly the one you are on the lookout for.
Talking to people is a way to get information about online universities. Be in touch
- With some of its preceding students.
- Others similarly interested.
- If there is a general consensus about its benefits.
- If it's former students could fetch jobs for themselves on strength of the online degree.
- If the stream in the offing includes adequate opportunities for research.
- Its relation to placement opportunities.
- The relevance of the course in the long run.
- Long list of universities/courses held online or in distant mode minus the approval of the centralized body.
- The longevity of the university.
Important things to bear in mind while choosing an online course or online university for a degree.
- Is the course as good as that offered on regular basis.
- Is the course following a traditional format or one out of the conventional mode.
- Always decide from the perspective of future.
- See if the planning of the program fits into your scheme of things.
- Is the online university you are considering an established university; does it offers online program alongside of the regular ones.
It is always preferable
- Choosing university with facilities for both online as well as formalized course.
- Being a part of the same fold from where you have been studying regularly.
- Going for a course or university where there is scope for interactive study.
- Going for a program/university with insistence on assignment centric evaluation; alongside of terminal ones.
- Opting for those with scholarship facilities for meritorious students.
- Opting for those operational for quite sometimes, rather than the brand new ones.
You must know
- Despite being online; some universities adopt interactive approach as well.
- If there are adequate opportunities for carrying out practically oriented lab or field work.
- For they matter in respect of subjects relevant to vocational training.
- They are also relevant to subjects such as physical or life science, geology and botany.
- There are distance educational programs/online programs with insistence on periodical assignments and ones without it.
Before deciding or finalizing an online university for degree course, be particularly aware of
- The affiliation details.
- Sometimes the so called universities/forums providing online courses may not be approved of the centralized bodies authorized for affiliation.
- In cases of doubts or apprehension connect directly with the University directorate.
- The presence of middleman bent on earning by misguiding students.
- A genuinely recognized university/course does not accept the interference of middleman or brokers.
Issues pertaining to affiliation
- In the Indian context, it is important to know that University Grant Commission authorizes all universities including the ones offering online programs and distance education.
- Technical as well as vocational courses are approved by the centralized Council meant for authorizing technical education.
- Teacher's education is approved by National Council for Teachers Education.
Choosing an Online University - How to arrive at the ultimate standpoint?
List out a few options
- Bearing in mind the aforementioned points, it is important that you list out a preferred category.
- It is important that you keep an alternative category as well.
- Preparation of a variable list bearing in mind the factors of cost, expectation, and course structure will help you arrive at decisions.
- Select the one which offers reasonable blend of factors of your choice alongside of those pertaining to reputation and accreditation.