Image Source: IANS

A lot of students form around the world gain visa to study in the United Kingdom. The UK government promotes international students. The number of Visas is not restricted. International students from outside UK or EU must apply for a student visa. Candidates intending to do a full-time degree course alone can apply for student visa. For part-time courses, student visa is not issued.

40 points required to apply for a student visa

  1. CAS (30 points): If you wish to wish to study in UK, you have to get the Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from a university which enjoys the Highly Trusted Status (HTS) on the UK Border Agency’s 4 tier sponsor list. HTS brings you 30 points
  2. Funding (10 points): Secondly you have to produce evidence of funding to pay for tuition fees and living cost.

There are three types of UK student visas.

  1. Student visitor Visa

    You can apply for student visa if you want to do a short course in UK. You must be 18 or over and have been offered a place on a course by an accepted place of study. You also should have enough money to support yourself. You can apply for a visa up to three months before you travel to UK. And you can stay in UK for 6 months or 11 months if you are to do an English language course. CAS number is not required for this Visa.


    1. Study at state school
    2. Carry out a business
    3. Marry or register civil partnership
    4. Get pubic funds
  2. 4 Tier (Child) Student Visa

    If you are aged between 4 and 17, you can apply for this visa to study at an independent fee- paying school. Tier 4 (child) student Visa requires CAS and 40 points on the UKBA point-based system.

    Other requirements:

    1. A place offered on a course
    2. Enough money to support yourself
    3. Consent of the parent/guardian

    If you are 16 0r 17 years old, sometimes you can apply as a 4 Tier (Child) Student or 4 Tier (General) Student, depending on the type of the institution, the type of the Tier 4 sponsor license the institution holds and the level of the course. If you are aged between 4 and 15, you can study at an independent fee-paying school. If you are 16 or 17, you can study at publicly funded college. You can apply from inside or outside UK or apply to extend stay under the Tier 4 (child) visa.

    Dos and don’ts

    1. You can work part-time up to 10 hours per week during term and full-time during vacations, if you are 16 or over.
    2. You can not study at a publicly funded school or receive public funds.
    3. You can not take full-time permanent jobs or work as a professional.
  3. 4 Tier (General) Student Visa

    You can apply for a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa, if you are 16 or over. You should have been offered a place on a course by an institution approved by UK Border Agency. Besides, you need to have cleared the English language test. Also you need to have enough money to pay for the course and meet your living cost. You have to apply for the visa up to three months before you travel to UK and get a decision on your visa in three weeks. You need Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) for applying for immigration permission as a Tier 4 (General) Student Visa.

    Dos and Don’ts

    1. You can study at a college or school granted Tier 4 (General) Sponsor Licence.
    2. You can apply from inside or outside UK or extend your stay.
    3. You can not receive public funds.
    4. You can work
    5. You can not work as a professional sportsperson.

How to make a successful Tier 4 General Application

  1. Read and understand the Home Office’s Tier 4 Policy Guidance.
  2. Make sure you meet all requirements.
  3. Provide evidence in the format required by the Home Office.
  4. Make sure your application does not come under the general grounds for refusal
  5. Check with an adviser at the institution where you intend to study.