Durga Ashtami also known as ‘Maha Ashtami’ is an important Hindu ritual dedicated to Goddess Shakti. It is observed on the ‘ashtami’ (8th day) of the ‘Shukla Paksha’ (the bright fortnight of moon) of every lunar month. On this day the weapons of Goddess Durga are worshiped and the celebration is known as ‘Astra Puja’. This day is also popularly referred as ‘Virashtami’ owing to the display of arms and other forms of martial arts. Hindu devotees offer prayers to Goddess Durga and keep a strict fast to seek Her divine blessings.
Durga Ashtami Vrat is observed with complete devotion in the northern and western regions of India. In some regions of Andhra Pradesh, Durga Ashtami is celebrated as ‘Bathukamma Panduga’. Durga Ashtami Vrat is a significant observance for followers of Hinduism.
Next Durga Ashtami Vrat Date in 2019 : July 09 TuesdayView All Dates in 2019
Rituals during Durga Ashtami Vrat:
- On the day of Durga Ashtami, devotees pray to Goddess Durga. They get up early in the morning and make several offerings to Goddess in the form of flowers, chandan and dhoop. In some places, Kumari Puja is also performed on the day of Durga Ashtami Vrat. Hindus worship girls aged between 6-12 years as the Kanya (virgin) form of Goddess Durga. Special ‘Naivedyam’ is prepared for offering to the Goddess.
- Fasting is an important ritual of the day. the observer of Durga Ashtami Vrat abstains from eating or drinking all through the day. the fast is observed by men and women alike. the Durga Ashtami Vrat is observed to acquire spiritual gains and seek the blessings of Goddess Durga. Some devotees keep the fast by drinking only milk or eating fruits. Consuming non-vegetarian food and alcohol is strictly prohibited on this day. the observer of the Durga Ashtami Vrat must sleep on the floor and keep away from the comforts and luxuries.
- In some regions of western India there is also a custom of sowing barley seeds. After the seeds reach a height of 3-5 inches they are offered to the Goddess and later distributed among all family members.
- Devotees chant various Devi mantras on this day. It is also considered rewarding to read Durga Chalisa on this day. At the end of puja, devotees also read the Durga Ashtami Vrat katha.
- Hindu devotees provide food and santarpana or dakshina to Brahmins after completing the puja rituals.
- The observer of Durga Ashtami Vrat visit Shakti temples in the evening. Special pujas are conducted on the day of Mahashtami that is witnessed by thousands of devotees.
Important Timings On Durga Ashtami Vrat
|Ashtami Tithi Timing||July 09, 5:24 AM - July 10, 3:30 AM|
|Place : Ujjain [ India ]|
Significance of Durga Ashtami Vrat:
In Sanskrit language the word ‘durga’ means ‘undefeatable’ and ‘ashtami’ signifies ‘eight day’. According to the Hindu legends the fierce and powerful form of Goddess Durga, known as ‘Goddess Bhadrakali’ was incarnated. The day of Durga Ashtami is celebrated as the victory of Goddess Durga over the demon named ‘Mahishasura’. It is believed that one who observes the Durga Ashtami Vrat with full dedication will be bestowed with happiness and good fortune in their lives.
All Durga Ashtami Vrat dates in 2019 and Ashtami Tithi Timing
|January 14th||Monday||Durga Ashtami Vrat||Jan 13, 11:42 PM - Jan 15, 12:37 AM|
|February 13th||Wednesday||Durga Ashtami Vrat||Feb 12, 3:54 PM - Feb 13, 3:46 PM|
|March 14th||Thursday||Durga Ashtami Vrat||Mar 14, 4:23 AM - Mar 15, 3:21 AM|
|April 13th||Saturday||Durga Ashtami Vrat||Apr 12, 1:23 PM - Apr 13, 11:41 AM|
|May 12th||Sunday||Durga Ashtami Vrat||May 11, 7:44 PM - May 12, 5:37 PM|
|June 10th||Monday||Durga Ashtami Vrat||Jun 10, 12:36 AM - Jun 10, 10:23 PM|
|July 9th||Tuesday||Durga Ashtami Vrat||Jul 09, 5:24 AM - Jul 10, 3:30 AM|
|August 8th||Thursday||Durga Ashtami Vrat||Aug 07, 11:41 AM - Aug 08, 10:30 AM|
|September 6th||Friday||Durga Ashtami Vrat||Sep 05, 8:49 PM - Sep 06, 8:43 PM|
|October 6th||Sunday||Durga Ashtami Vrat||Oct 05, 9:50 AM - Oct 06, 10:54 AM|
|November 4th||Monday||Durga Ashtami Vrat||Nov 04, 2:56 AM - Nov 05, 4:57 AM|
|December 4th||Wednesday||Durga Ashtami Vrat||Dec 03, 11:14 PM - Dec 05, 1:44 AM|