Durva Ashtami is a unique Hindu observance that is dedicated to worshipping Durva Grass, an essential item used in almost all Hindu rituals. It is observed on the ‘ashtami’ (8th day) during the ‘Shukla Paksha’ (the bright fortnight of moon) in the lunar month of ‘Bhadrapada’ as per the Hindu calendar. However in the Gregorian calendar, the date falls between the months of August-September.
Durva Ashtami 2023 is on September 22, Friday
9 months and 23 days to go for the event
According to the Hindu beliefs, observing Durva Ashtami with full devotion brings prosperity and peace in one’s life. This Hindu festival is celebrated with immense gaiety and enthusiasm in West Bengal and other eastern regions of India. In Bengal, it is popularly referred as ‘Durvashtami Brata’.
Rituals during Durva Ashtami:
- The rituals during Durva Ashtami are mainly observed by women. They get up before sunrise, take an early bath and wear new clothes prior to staring the puja rituals.
- On this day, women offer special rituals and pujas to Durva Grass. The auspicious Durva Grass is worshipped with flowers, fruits, rice, incense sticks, curd and other essential puja items.
- Women also keep a fast on this day. The observer of the Durva Ashtami Vrat also worships Lord Shiva and Lord Ganesha. Along with fruits and flowers, Durva Grass is also offered to please the Lords.
- Women perform the puja with full dedication for the long life and prosperity of their children. It also helps to bring peace and harmony in their married life.
- On Durva Ashtami, Hindu devotees should offer food and clothes to a respected Brahmins. Doing so will bestow them with endless wealth and good fortune.
Important Timings On Durva Ashtami
|Sunrise||September 22, 2023 6:19 AM|
|Sunset||September 22, 2023 6:20 PM|
|Ashtami Tithi Begins||September 22, 2023 1:35 PM|
|Ashtami Tithi Ends||September 23, 2023 12:18 PM|
|Place : Ujjain [ India ] See More|
Significance of Durva Ashtami:
In Hinduism, Durva Grass has special religious significance. It is a symbol of prosperity and is worshipped with purity and dedication. As per the legends it is believed that the few strands of hair that fell from Lord Vishnu’s arm became the Durva Grass. After the Samudra Manthan when the Asuras and Devas were carrying the ‘Amrit’, it is believed that few drops of Amrit fell on Durva Grass and since then it became auspicious and immortal. A person who worships Durva Grass on Durva Ashtami with full dedication gets all his/her desires fulfilled. Furthermore it is believed that a person who consumes only raw foods on Durva Ashtami is freed from all his/her sins, even those equivalent to killing of a Brahmin. The significance of Durva Grass was also explained to King Yudhisthira by Lord Krishna himself. Lord Krishna stated that a man who religiously performs the Durva Ashtami puja will be blessed to keep his legacy moving forward, from generations to generations.
Durva Ashtami festival dates between 2019 & 2029
|2019||Friday, 6th of September|
|2020||Tuesday, 25th of August|
|2021||Monday, 13th of September|
|2022||Saturday, 3rd of September|
|2023||Friday, 22nd of September|
|2024||Wednesday, 11th of September|
|2025||Sunday, 31st of August|
|2026||Friday, 18th of September|
|2027||Tuesday, 7th of September|
|2028||Sunday, 27th of August|
|2029||Friday, 14th of September|