Ram Navami is the celebration of the birth anniversary of Lord Rama, who is believed to be the seventh incarnation of Lord Vishnu on Earth. Lord Rama's birth was intended to end the rule of the ten-headed demon king Ravana and this day is thus symbolic of the victory of truth over the evil.
Rama Navami 2019 is on April 14 Sunday
26 days to go for the event
When is Ram Navami celebrated?
Ram Navami is celebrated on the ninth day of the Shukla paksha of the Indian month of Chaitra. According to the Gregorian calendar, it falls in the month of March-April every year.
The History behind Ram Navami
- According to mythology, the kingdom of Ayodhya was distraught about the fact that there was no successor to the throne. During an afternoon of Chaitra, Lord Rama was born to King Dasharath and his queen Kaushalya after they were given the holy pudding to eat by Rishi Vasishtha. It is said that Lord Rama was born to save the people of Ayodhya from evil and to ensure that peace and prosperity prevails over his kingdom.
- This day is also celebrated as the birth anniversary of Swaminarayan, a saint who is considered an avatar of Narayana. He was born in the village of Chhapaiya in Uttar Pradesh.
Rituals of Ram Navami
- Devotees of Lord Rama observe a staunch fast on this day.
- The holy text of Ramayana is recited at different temples during the entire day of Ram Navami.
- Images of the deity are worshipped with enchanting of hymns and mantras; devotees offer flowers and sweets to the Lord and 'Akhand path' is continued throughout the day.
- A big fair is arranged at Ayodhya every year on the occasion of the birth anniversary of their beloved king.
- In some states of India, this is a part of a nine day long festival.
- Processions of 'shobha yatras' of the idols of Lord Rama, Sita and Lakshman along with Hanuman are organized across the streets of Ayodhya.
- The sacred chant of 'Om Sri Ram' is recited many times throughout the day.
- Havan or a sacred bonfire is arranged on the day of Ram Navami.
- Temples and other religious places are decorated with lights and the idols of Lord Rama are adorned with the best of clothes and jewellery.
- In many places, this day is also observed as the marriage anniversary of Lord Rama and Mother Sita.
- In Southern India, Kalyanotsavam is organized on the day of Ram Navami. On this day, a ceremonial wedding is arranged to mark the marriage of Rama and Sita' following this 'panakam' is served to all devotees. This is a sweet drink which is prepared with jaggery.
- Later, the idols are taken out in processions across the city and people play with colours celebrating the festive spirit of the occasion.
- Special functions with cultural activities are arranged by organizations to showcase and preach the teachings of Lord Rama.
Important Timings On Rama Navami
|Sunrise||14-Apr-2019 06:11 AM|
|Sunset||14-Apr-2019 18:43 PM|
|Navami Tithi Starts||13-Apr-2019 11:41 AM|
|Navami Tithi Ends||14-Apr-2019 09:35 AM|
|Rama Navami Puja Muhurta||11:12 AM - 13:42 PM|
|Rama Navami Madhyahna Moment||14-Apr-2019 12:27 PM|
|Place : Ujjain [ India ]|
Rama Navami festival dates between 2016 & 2026
|2016||Friday, 15th of April|
|2017||Wednesday, 5th of April|
|2018||Sunday, 25th of March|
|2019||Sunday, 14th of April|
|2020||Thursday, 2nd of April|
|2021||Wednesday, 21st of April|
|2022||Sunday, 10th of April|
|2023||Thursday, 30th of March|
|2024||Wednesday, 17th of April|
|2025||Sunday, 6th of April|
|2026||Friday, 27th of March|