Sankranti falls on the solar transition from one zodiac sign to other and Simha Sankranti is one among the twelve sankranti’s that occur every year. During simha Sankranti the sun is in the transit from karka rashi (Cancer) to Simha rashi (Leo). In southern India it is also known as simha sankraman and this day is celebrated more significantly in southern India than northern India. This day starts the Chinga month as per Malayalam calendar, Avni month as per Tamil month and Bhadra month as per the Bengali calendar.
Both men and women in Kumaun region of Himachal Pradesh apart from the whole of southern India celebrate Simha Sankranti with a lot of zeal. Sankraman punya snan is a significant custom of this day that is done only in holy water. During the Chand dynasty common people offered fruits and flowers to the royal family members and this was called right of olag.
Simha Sankranti 2018 is on August 17 Friday
Today is Simha Sankranti
Rituals of the day
- On simha Sankranti, devotees worship Lord Vishnu, Sun God, and Lord Narsimha Swami.
- Nariyal (coconut) abhisheka is performed on this day as it is considered a part of holy bath. Only fresh coconut water is used for this purpose.
- Lord Ganesha is worshipped before all the rest of the puja ceremony to please him and it is called the appada puja.
- The Hoovina puja to Lord Vishnumurthy continues for a month until the sun transits to Kanya rashi.
- Flowers, fruits and different preparation of sweets is offered to the deity and mantras are chanted to seek blessings from the Lord.
Important Timings On Simha Sankranti
|Sunrise||17-Aug-2018 06:07 AM|
|Sunset||17-Aug-2018 18:54 PM|
|Punya Kaal Muhurta||06:07 AM - 06:55 AM|
|Maha Punya Kaal Muhurta||06:31 AM - 06:55 AM|
|Sankranti Moment||17-Aug-2018 06:55 AM|
|Place : Ujjain [ India ]|
The main temple of Lord Vishnumurthy in Kulai, near Mangalore celebrates this day with devotion.A priest performs the above rituals in the temple as per muhurat timings. There are many other temples in some parts of Kerala, Tamil Nadu, and Andhra Pradesh that observe rituals and prayers on this day.
Simha Sankranti festival dates between 2015 & 2025
|2015||Monday, 17th of August|
|2016||Tuesday, 16th of August|
|2017||Thursday, 17th of August|
|2018||Friday, 17th of August|
|2019||Saturday, 17th of August|
|2020||Sunday, 16th of August|
|2021||Tuesday, 17th of August|
|2022||Wednesday, 17th of August|
|2023||Thursday, 17th of August|
|2024||Friday, 16th of August|
|2025||Sunday, 17th of August|