Sravana Vratham is an auspicious fasting observed by Vaishnava devotees. This fasting is observed every month on the day of ‘Sravana Nakshatram’. It is believed that performing pujas for Lord Vishnu as well as Lord Shiva on the day of Sravana Vratham is fruitful. According to the legends, Sravana Nakshatra is known to be the ‘Nakshatra of Lord Venkateswara’. This day is therefore considered very auspicious in Tirumala, Tirupati. On this day the ‘deepam’ ceremony in the ‘Oppilliappan Temple’ is very renowned. Special pujas and abhishekam is held during Sravana Vratham in Lord Vishnu temples all across India, especially in the southern regions.
Next Sravana Vratham Date in 2018 : October 18 ThursdayView All Dates in 2018
Rituals during Sravana Vratham:
- The fasting on Sravana Vratham is similar to Ekadashi fast. Staunch devotees keep a fast for 24 hours starting from the sunrise of the Sravana Vratham day till the dawn of the following day. But older people and those suffering from any medical condition should not keep this kind of strict fast. Such people observe partial fasting and are allowed to eat fruits and ‘phalahaar food’.
- Even those not observing this vratham, consuming non-vegetarian food and alcohol is strictly prohibited.
- The observer of Sravana Vratham should break his/her fast by offering ‘naivedyam’ to the lord on the following morning. Those who keep strict fast must take only liquid diet on the following day.
- On the day of Sravana Vratham one must also observe silence for few hours. It is a form of meditation which unites the individual with the Supreme Power.
- It is auspicious to recite ‘Pancha Sooktham’ or ‘Sri Vishnu Sahasranamam’ on the day of Sravana Vratham. Lighting a ‘deepam’ on the day of Sravana Vratham in Lord Venkateshwara or Lord Narayana temples is highly meritorious.
Important Timings On Sravana Vratham
|Sunrise||18-Oct-2018 06:28 AM|
|Sunset||18-Oct-2018 17:55 PM|
|Sravana Nakshathram Begins||17-Oct-2018 21:28 PM|
|Sravana Nakshathram Ends||19-Oct-2018 00:34 AM|
|Place : Ujjain [ India ]|
Significance of Sravana Vratham:
The observance of Sravana Vratham is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. It is also one of the most popular fasting observed by the Hindus. The greatness of Sravana Vratham is mentioned in most of the Hindu religious books or puranas. In Hinduism, Sravana masa is considered to be the best time to worship Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva. It is held that pujas and other rituals performed during this month are highly rewarding. The month of Sravana is the 5th month in the traditional Hindu calendar and is considered to be as holiest as the ‘Karthika’ month. It also marks the start of the propitious ‘Chaturmaas’ period. One who observed the Sravana Vratham in a ritualistic manner will be bestowed with happiness and prosperity. They will ultimately seek ‘moksha’ and find place in ‘Vaikuntha’, the heavenly abode of Lord Vishnu.
All Sravana Vratham dates in 2018 and Sravana Nakshathram Ends
|18 Jan||(Thu)||Sravana Vratham||18-Jan-2018 07:14 18-Jan-2018 18:00 17-Jan-2018 22:18 19-Jan-2018 01:02|
|14 Feb||(Wed)||Sravana Vratham||14-Feb-2018 07:03 14-Feb-2018 18:18 14-Feb-2018 04:56 15-Feb-2018 07:31|
|14 Mar||(Wed)||Sravana Vratham||14-Mar-2018 06:40 14-Mar-2018 18:31 13-Mar-2018 12:31 14-Mar-2018 15:06|
|10 Apr||(Tue)||Sravana Vratham||10-Apr-2018 06:14 10-Apr-2018 18:42 09-Apr-2018 20:39 10-Apr-2018 23:25|
|07 May||(Mon)||Sravana Vratham||07-May-2018 05:53 07-May-2018 18:53 07-May-2018 04:39 08-May-2018 07:38|
|04 Jun||(Mon)||Sravana Vratham||04-Jun-2018 05:44 04-Jun-2018 19:05 03-Jun-2018 11:59 04-Jun-2018 15:05|
|01 Jul||(Sun)||Sravana Vratham||01-Jul-2018 05:48 01-Jul-2018 19:12 30-Jun-2018 18:29 01-Jul-2018 21:37|
|28 Jul||(Sat)||Sravana Vratham||28-Jul-2018 05:59 28-Jul-2018 19:07 28-Jul-2018 00:33 29-Jul-2018 03:37|
|25 Aug||(Sat)||Sravana Vratham||25-Aug-2018 06:10 25-Aug-2018 18:47 24-Aug-2018 06:48 25-Aug-2018 09:49|
|21 Sep||(Fri)||Sravana Vratham||21-Sep-2018 06:18 21-Sep-2018 18:20 20-Sep-2018 13:44 21-Sep-2018 16:46|
|18 Oct||(Thu)||Sravana Vratham||18-Oct-2018 06:28 18-Oct-2018 17:55 17-Oct-2018 21:28 19-Oct-2018 00:34|
|14 Nov||(Wed)||Sravana Vratham||14-Nov-2018 06:43 14-Nov-2018 17:38 14-Nov-2018 05:37 15-Nov-2018 08:45|
|12 Dec||(Wed)||Sravana Vratham||12-Dec-2018 07:02 12-Dec-2018 17:38 11-Dec-2018 13:29 12-Dec-2018 16:36|