Sravana Vratham is an auspicious fasting observed by Vaishnava devotees. This fasting is observed every month on the day of ‘Sravana Nakshatram’. It is believed that performing pujas for Lord Vishnu as well as Lord Shiva on the day of Sravana Vratham is fruitful. According to the legends, Sravana Nakshatra is known to be the ‘Nakshatra of Lord Venkateswara’. This day is therefore considered very auspicious in Tirumala, Tirupati. On this day the ‘deepam’ ceremony in the ‘Oppilliappan Temple’ is very renowned. Special pujas and abhishekam is held during Sravana Vratham in Lord Vishnu temples all across India, especially in the southern regions.
Next Sravana Vratham Date in 2019 : January 08 TuesdayView All Dates in 2019
Rituals during Sravana Vratham:
- The fasting on Sravana Vratham is similar to Ekadashi fast. Staunch devotees keep a fast for 24 hours starting from the sunrise of the Sravana Vratham day till the dawn of the following day. But older people and those suffering from any medical condition should not keep this kind of strict fast. Such people observe partial fasting and are allowed to eat fruits and ‘phalahaar food’.
- Even those not observing this vratham, consuming non-vegetarian food and alcohol is strictly prohibited.
- The observer of Sravana Vratham should break his/her fast by offering ‘naivedyam’ to the lord on the following morning. Those who keep strict fast must take only liquid diet on the following day.
- On the day of Sravana Vratham one must also observe silence for few hours. It is a form of meditation which unites the individual with the Supreme Power.
- It is auspicious to recite ‘Pancha Sooktham’ or ‘Sri Vishnu Sahasranamam’ on the day of Sravana Vratham. Lighting a ‘deepam’ on the day of Sravana Vratham in Lord Venkateshwara or Lord Narayana temples is highly meritorious.
Important Timings On Sravana Vratham
|Sunrise||08-Jan-2019 07:13 AM|
|Sunset||08-Jan-2019 17:53 PM|
|Sravana Nakshathram Begins||07-Jan-2019 20:36 PM|
|Sravana Nakshathram Ends||08-Jan-2019 23:40 PM|
|Place : Ujjain [ India ]|
Significance of Sravana Vratham:
The observance of Sravana Vratham is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. It is also one of the most popular fasting observed by the Hindus. The greatness of Sravana Vratham is mentioned in most of the Hindu religious books or puranas. In Hinduism, Sravana masa is considered to be the best time to worship Lord Vishnu and Lord Shiva. It is held that pujas and other rituals performed during this month are highly rewarding. The month of Sravana is the 5th month in the traditional Hindu calendar and is considered to be as holiest as the ‘Karthika’ month. It also marks the start of the propitious ‘Chaturmaas’ period. One who observed the Sravana Vratham in a ritualistic manner will be bestowed with happiness and prosperity. They will ultimately seek ‘moksha’ and find place in ‘Vaikuntha’, the heavenly abode of Lord Vishnu.
All Sravana Vratham dates in 2019 and Sravana Nakshathram Ends
|08 Jan||(Tue)||Sravana Vratham||08-Jan-2019 07:13 08-Jan-2019 17:53 07-Jan-2019 20:36 08-Jan-2019 23:40|
|04 Feb||(Mon)||Sravana Vratham||04-Feb-2019 07:09 04-Feb-2019 18:12 04-Feb-2019 02:55 05-Feb-2019 06:01|
|04 Mar||(Mon)||Sravana Vratham||04-Mar-2019 06:50 04-Mar-2019 18:27 03-Mar-2019 08:59 04-Mar-2019 12:10|
|31 Mar||(Sun)||Sravana Vratham||31-Mar-2019 06:24 31-Mar-2019 18:38 30-Mar-2019 15:38 31-Mar-2019 18:46|
|27 Apr||(Sat)||Sravana Vratham||27-Apr-2019 06:00 27-Apr-2019 18:48 26-Apr-2019 23:14 28-Apr-2019 02:12|
|25 May||(Sat)||Sravana Vratham||25-May-2019 05:46 25-May-2019 19:01 24-May-2019 07:30 25-May-2019 10:15|
|21 Jun||(Fri)||Sravana Vratham||21-Jun-2019 05:45 21-Jun-2019 19:11 20-Jun-2019 15:39 21-Jun-2019 18:14|
|18 Jul||(Thu)||Sravana Vratham||18-Jul-2019 05:55 18-Jul-2019 19:10 17-Jul-2019 22:58 19-Jul-2019 01:34|
|14 Aug||(Wed)||Sravana Vratham||14-Aug-2019 06:06 14-Aug-2019 18:56 14-Aug-2019 05:19 15-Aug-2019 08:02|
|11 Sep||(Wed)||Sravana Vratham||11-Sep-2019 06:15 11-Sep-2019 18:31 10-Sep-2019 11:09 11-Sep-2019 13:59|
|08 Oct||(Tue)||Sravana Vratham||08-Oct-2019 06:24 08-Oct-2019 18:04 07-Oct-2019 17:25 08-Oct-2019 20:12|
|04 Nov||(Mon)||Sravana Vratham||04-Nov-2019 06:37 04-Nov-2019 17:43 04-Nov-2019 00:55 05-Nov-2019 03:23|
|02 Dec||(Mon)||Sravana Vratham||02-Dec-2019 06:55 02-Dec-2019 17:36 01-Dec-2019 09:40 02-Dec-2019 11:43|
|29 Dec||(Sun)||Sravana Vratham||29-Dec-2019 07:10 29-Dec-2019 17:46 28-Dec-2019 18:43 29-Dec-2019 20:30|