What you must know is that this is not just a day to celebrate and eat a lot of goodies alone- but a religious day where Sikhs worldwide remember the great man who created the famous Khalsa Panth. Read further to understand the essence of Baisakhi.
Vaisakhi 2020 is on April 13 Monday
1 month and 16 days to go for the event
When is Vaisakhi/Baisakhi celebrated?
For the entire Sikh community around the world, this is one day that reminds us of the anniversary of Guru Gobind Singh.
This special day is considered to be a form of good luck and so generally try to commence new thoughts, lives and commitments on this day. They believe that people can prosper a lot in terms of health and wealth.
It is declared as a holiday and it falls on April 13th or April 14th. In short, it stands to the first day of the Vaisakh month.
Spiritual Significance of Vaisakhi (Baisakhi)
It marks the anniversary of the far sighted man named Guru Gobind Singh. It was his persistent efforts that the Kalsa Panth was formed- where by the entire Sikh community a solid living structure to live into and it has proved to be useful for all these years.
What are the rituals of Vaisakhi (Baisakhi)?
- This festival is celebrated on April 13th as per the Gregorian calendar. But after a set of 36 years, then the festival is celebrated on April 14th.
- The celebrations denote the harvest festival and lots of delicacies are prepared to make the day extra special.
- On this day, Sikhs visit the Golden Temple in Punjab.
- Alongside the Holy Granth is read by religious gurus and then a ritual of symbolically purifying it with water and milk is organized.
- Then this is placed on a blessed royal throne. With this, a small parade is conducted whereby five Sikhs carrying swords walk to and fro in front of the throne.
- A lot of people walk behind this parade to watch the whole function.
- Baisakhi marks the harvest of the Rabi crops. Rabi means spring season in Arabic language.
- The believers first take ritual baths and then take part in a number of religious celebrations.
- The bath is usually taken at the river Ganga and this done to pay respect to Goddess Ganga.
- After the prayers, they return back home and set up a pole in front of their homes.
- Then silk flags are tied onto the pole and also metallic or brass pots are placed carefully on the pole.
Important Timings On Vaisakhi
|Sunrise||April 13, 2020 6:11 AM|
|Sunset||April 13, 2020 6:43 PM|
|Place : Ujjain [ India ] See More|
Facts about Baisakhi that you would like to know
- It is known by many names in India like Vishu in Kerala, and in Assam it is named as Bohag Bihu.
- The Khalsa which otherwise means ‘The Pure Ones’ was formed with an intention to keep the tradition, community and beliefs of the Sikh community alive for years to come.
- Some of the interesting chants that you can hear during this time goes like this ”May the new year come again and again”.
- One of the highlights of Baisakhi is the use of the Dholak to play music and give rhythmic beats to their celebrations.
- They are known to dance to the tunes of Bangra music and for this the Dholak or in other words- the drum- leads the moods of the music.
Vaisakhi festival dates between 2017 & 2027
|2017||Friday, 14th of April|
|2018||Saturday, 14th of April|
|2019||Sunday, 14th of April|
|2020||Monday, 13th of April|
|2021||Wednesday, 14th of April|
|2022||Thursday, 14th of April|
|2023||Friday, 14th of April|
|2024||Saturday, 13th of April|
|2025||Monday, 14th of April|
|2026||Tuesday, 14th of April|
|2027||Wednesday, 14th of April|