If you examine a little carefully, you will see that the shape of the face varies from person to person. Different types of face shapes have been identified. Broadly speaking, there are seven major face shapes. These are square, oval, round, oblong, heart, diamond and triangular.
About different face shapes
The various face shapes that are generally seen are as follows:
- Oval face shapes look like an egg standing upside down. The top tends to be wider than the bottom. Beauticians love the oval face shape as it is held to be the most perfect shape.
- Square shapes are those where the width and the length of the face are almost equal. If you have a square face, you will have a defined jaw and an almost straight hairline.
- The round face shapes are also as long as they are wide, but the jaw is more curved. The largest width of the face is noted along the cheekbones.
- The triangular face shape has hairline that is either straight or slightly rounded. The top is wider while the face narrows downwards into a long and pointed jaw.
- The heart face shape is very similar to the triangle, but the hairline is shaped like a widow’s peak.
- The diamond face shape is that where the face is slightly longer than it is wide with high set cheekbones and a slightly pointed jaw line.
- Finally, the oblong face shape is one where the length of the face is more than the width. The jaw is rounded while the width of the cheeks, jaw and forehead are almost the same.
Why should you know your face shape?
The advantages of knowing your face shape are as follows:
- In order to highlight your best features while putting on your makeup, it is necessary to know your face shape. For example, if you have a square shape with defined jaw line, you need to soften it.
- Knowing your face shape will also help you to choose the best hairstyle and jewelry so that you always look your best.
- Often, you will find tips on makeup and hairstyle by face shapes. Unless you know your face shape, you will not be able to apply these tips properly.
How to determine your face shape?
Here is an easy and reliable method to determine your face shape:
- Stand in front of the mirror and measure the length of your face from forehead to chin and the width along the eyes across the cheekbone.
- If your face is longer than it is wide with markedly wider cheekbones you have an oval face.
- If length and width are equal, you have a square face.
- If the length is one-half-times more than the width, you have an oblong face.
- If length and width are equal with tapering chin and forehead, you have a round face.
- You have a heart shaped face if cheeks and forehead are same in width while the chin is slightly tapered. The hairline has a widow's peak.
- You have a triangular shaped face if you have similarly wide cheeks and forehead with a straight hairline.