Self medication may have its advantages as well as disadvantages. There can be endless arguments on the need and relevance of self medication. But, in order to prevent you from the jitters of headache and tide successfully through the pangs of common cold, cough and flu, there is nothing illogical about being equipped with a home based first aid kit. Rather than being bundle of nerves and await recovery with eager anxiousness, it is important to fall back on the alternative option of medical kit.
Necessary medications to be kept at home
- In order to build up a good stock of effective medicine, it is important that you have bare minimum knowledge of different medicines.
- You need not carry out a detailed study on medicine, but it is important to understand the relevant use of different medications including analgesic, digestive enzymes, antiseptics and so on.
- It is important that you stock pile medicines bearing in mind the requirements of different family members.
- You need not have an extensive assortment of different medications, but it should be just enough to match your urgent home based necessities.
- Do bear in mind there are specialized physicians, faculty and health centers to take care of cases of complications.
- Allergic reaction on account of exposure to any specific kind of medication offered from the home based first aid kit should also be reported to specialized physicians.
- Be particularly aware of the mentioned expiry dates of the medications stock piled.
- Make it a point to have the kit refurbished with pills outliving their date of expiry.
- Hygienic maintenance of the medical kit is necessary, in addition to its protection from the excesses of temperature.
- Make it a point to keep it beyond the reach of children.
Emergency medication for kids
- Medicines for kids should ideally include options for analgesic, treatment of fever and common cold and cough.
- For treating aches as well as mild rise in temperature, it is preferable depending on mild analgesic meant for children.
- For relief from cuts and burns, it is imperative including antiseptic germicidal and anti burn ointment.
- Mildly dosed antiseptic cream should also be a part of your medical kit at home. Besides keeping an antiseptic cream, also include a moisturizing cream watery in base to counter conditions of roughness and dry skin.
- In order to overcome the conditions of dehydration or sudden loss of body fluid, you can opt for rehydration solution offered in sachets.
- Though cough syrups are mostly out of vogue, to combat conditions of cough and allergy, you can include the choice of an effective anti allergic. But as far as the type and kind of anti allergic goes, it is preferable counseling a doctor or a specialized person.
Medication for adults
- As far as medication for adults are concerned, you can go by the mentioned options.
- But there are some modifications to take note of. For instance, the choice of analgesic should cater to the needs of a grown up adult. Accordingly, there will be variation in power and dosage.
- You can also go for remedies taking care of inflammation and those catering to constipation.
- Availing of options for digestive enzymes and antacids will serve effective for children as well as adults. But as with any other medication dosage and frequency will vary.
- In case, you or any of your co members are particularly afflicted with maladies of specific kind, it is important to seek medical guidance before stock piling your medical kit with the required medication.
First aid for minor accidents and burns at home
- Irrespective of your possession of home based first aid kits, having a first aid kit within your safe reach comes as an ace in hole.
- Minor cases of injury including those caused by cuts, collision and burns can be immediately addressed by means of a first aid kit.
- Do make it a point to have it within your arm’s reach at home and also in cars.
- You have the options of buying as well as giving shape to your own first aid kit.
- In case, you opt for the latter do locate an easily portable container.
- Ideally, first aid kits should include wipes, sterile gauzes of different size, an antiseptic lotion/cream and germicidal.
- There should be provisions for scissors, tweezers, gloves, bandage, wipes for the administration of ethyl alcohol and cold packs.
- Ball of cotton, disinfected leucoplast necessary for administering bandages, plasters, thermometer and calamine lotion should also be included in a first aid kit.
- Small blanket, safety pins, torch or flashlight and list of important telephonic details are some of the additional requirements of a first aid kit.