Guttate Psoriasis is one of the types of psoriasis where small pink dots, like drops, are formed on the skin. This is a word that is derived from gutta, a Latin word that means drop. This form of psoriasis is quite uncommon. It is also more common among children than adults above the age of 30. It occurs in both genders as well.
The biggest guttate psoriasis causes are related to bacterial infections, especially, streptococcal infection. It is still not known so as to how these infections can cause guttate psoriasis though. If a person carries a strep infection (it is always carried in the lungs), this disease can occur. It is known that most people who develop guttate psoriaisis suffer from some form of streptococcal infection, mostly tonillo pharyngitis before the disease sets in.
Guttate psoriasis causes also include genetic problems. This is a disease that can be inherited. There are many other infections that also form guttate psoriasis causes. Viral infections, other than bacterial infections, are also causes. Infections such as roseola, rubella, chickenpox, etc can cause this psoriasis, especially among children.
Symtoms of Guttate Psoriasis
There are a lot of basic symptoms of guttate psoriasis that can help people figure out if they have this disease or not. Here are a few most important symptoms of guttate psoriasis:
- Small pink or red drop like lesions appear on the skin, especially after a person has had a streptococcal infection, such as tonsillitis. The drops will start appearing some two to three weeks after the infection.
- These drop lesions would also be very itchy and irritating.
- The lesions will also spread from one place to the rest of the body. It usually starts in the arms, legs or trunks, and from there, it can spread to the face, scalp etc. The only areas that stand no chance of facing the effects of guttate psoriasis are the palms and the bottoms of feet.
- One can find out whether they have chronic psoriasis or not by looking for specific symptoms of guttate psoriasis. If a person has guttate type of psoriasis, they will not have any nail changes (changes in the ridges and the pits). However, chronic psoriasis patients would have this as an effect.
- If a person is a strep carrier (infection being carried in the lungs), the lesions might vanish and reoccur. Thus the effects of guttate psoriasis would be recurring.
People who show the symptoms of this kind of psoriasis can consult a dermatologist, who will be able to provide them with an accurate diagnosis.
Prevention of guttate psoriasis
The effects of guttate psoriasis are quite harmful and irritating. In order to reduce the effects of guttate psoriasis, a person should make sure that they avoid all kinds and forms of skin trauma-including rubbing, scratching, itching, etc, for this might cause further lesions. Taking extra precaution after one has been identified with streptococcal infections would also help, especially if you have a history of psoriasis in your family.
Medical Treatment for guttate psoriasis
Here are the commonly used medication used to battle guttate psoriasis:
- Erythromycin: This is treatment for guttate psoriasis that would reduce the lesions and the inflammation. Since this is a treatment that is already used to battle bacterial infections, it would be beneficial for curing the streptococcal basis of the infection as well. However, it would not be wise for people to take this medication without the approval or prescription of a dermatologist or a doctor. People should also discontinue the use of this medication if it causes the effects to become more aggravated, or if fever, nausea, vomiting, cramping etc occurs.
- Penicillin VK: This is another medication that is used to cure bacterial infections. It can thereby help battle the cause of guttate psoriasis and thus eliminate its dangers. However, people who are allergic to penicillin should not consume this medication. People with kidney or liver problems are also asked to stay away from this medication.
- Rifampin: This is for the cases of guttate psoriasis caused by streptococcal infection that lasts for a long time. This is prescribed only if the streptococcal infection is believed to be long term or chronic. It is usually given in addition to penicillin or erythromycin.
Home-made treatment for psoriasisIt is possible for people to develop some home-made treatment for psoriasis. Here are a few tips for a home- made treatment for psoriasis:
- Use moisturizer for the skin, immediately after taking a bath. This will keep the moisture locked in and prevent the skin from becoming dry.
- Reduction is sun exposure would also help. Excess sun exposure can cause more lesions to erupt and the skin to become more inflamed.
- Use sunscreen and prevent any sunburns, for sure.
- Make sure to use a soap that is filled with moisture. Do not use any scrubs or harsh soaps during this period.
- Topical steroids, even the ones that have been bought over the counter top can be helpful in reducing the lesions and the inflammation as well.
These home- made treatment for guttate psoriasis will work well when combined with medication as well, for it will cure the disease and reduce its symptoms twice around. For more information about guttate psoriasis and its treatment, make sure to talk to your doctor.