New Delhi, March 18 : Taking cognizance safety threat to children and infants at the ongoing protest at Shaheen Bagh, due to coronavirus outbreak in the country, the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) on Wednesday wrote to the District Magistrate of South East Delhi.
The commission asked administration to submit a report regarding the gathering of people at the Shaheen Bagh protest site despite advisory issued by Centre as well as state government against it.
In the letter, the NCPCR said it had received a complaint regarding the large gathering at the site which they said was taking place despite an advisory issued by the state and Central government regarding safety and prevention for COVID-19.
"You are kindly requested to take necessary action in view of advisory issued by the State Government and the Central Government regarding safety and prevention for COVID-19 and submit a report to the Commission within three days from the date of issue of this letter," the letter from NCPCR said.
There have been various attempts to convince the protesters to call off the protest but to no avail. The Protest started on December 15 last year.
Of the total 152 confirmed cases reported from India, 14 people have been cured and discharged from the hospital while three lost their lives.
There are at least 135 active cases of COVID-19 in India.
Latest updates on Coronavirus (COVID-19)