September 24 : As the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) summoned actress Deepika Padukone to appear for questioning on October 25 in the Bollywood drug nexus case, Opposition parties claimed that the BJP is using the case to divert people's attention from the farmers' nationwide protest on the same day.
The NCB has started investigation of the alleged Bollywood drug nexus in connection with Sushant Singh Rajput's death case. So far NCB has arrested 19 people, including Rhea Chakraborty. NCB Deputy Director (Operations) KPS Malhotra confirmed that summons have been issued to actresses Deepika, Shraddha Kapoor, Sara Ali Khan and Rakul Preet Singh, and fashion designer Simmone Khambata.
While Simmone Khambata and Rakul have been asked to join the probe today, Deepika will join on September 25, Shraddha and Sara on September 26.
The NCB will question Deepika and her manager Karishma Prakash face to face on Friday. They have been summoned on the basis of alleged WhatsApp chats about procuring drugs. KWAN talent manager Jaya Saha was also one of the participants of the WhatsApp chats.
A tactic to divert people’s attention
Opposition parties have claimed that the BJP is conspiring and using the Bollywood drug case to keep the public away from the crucial issues that the country is facing like the COVID-19 pandemic, economy, China, and farms bills. A Mid-Day report states that the former Maharashtra chief minister Prithviraj Chavan said, “It's clear from the beginning that the BJP is using Rajput's death case to divert people's attention from these crucial issues. The central investigating agencies and some news channels are working as BJP stooges.”
The Mid-Day report further stated that Congress spokesperson Sachin Sawant also alleged that the BJP is politicising Sushant’s death case from day 1. “Three national agencies have been used to divert the attention of people from real issues,” he reportedly said.
Rakul denies receiving NCB summon
A Times Now report states that Rakul’s team has denied receiving any summons from the NCB, and adds that she is unlikely to join the probe today. The report further suggests that NCB has issued summons to the actress digitally as her name featured in FIR 1620. As per a Republic TV report, KPS Malhotra reportedly said that they contacted the actress through various means including her phone. However, he reportedly claimed that her phone remained unavailable, but was contacted digitally. He further told the news channel that it is just an excuse that she has not received the summons.
Latest updates on Sushant Singh Rajput Death Mystery