ELVAS, Nov. 28, 2015 - Photo taken on Nov. 21, 2015 shows a guard-room in the passageway of the main gate of Fort of Graca, a part of the Garrison Border Town of Elvas and its Fortifications, in Elvas, Portugal, Nov. 27, 2015. The Garrison Border Town of Elvas and its Fortifications were inscribed in the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2012. Elvas city lies in the border of Portugal with Spain and was built around 1640 during the war between the two countries. The city was expanded steadily between the 17th and the 19th centuries. The fortifications in the city is one of the biggest of its kind in the world. As part of the fortifications in Elvas, the construction of Fort of Graca started in 1763 and was completed in 1792. It was opened to the public on Nov. 27 after being completely renovated by local government.

1 / 2

Photo taken on Nov. 21, 2015 shows Dragon Gate, main gate to enter in Fort of Graca, a part of the Garrison Border Town of Elvas and its Fortifications, in Elvas, Portugal, Nov. 27, 2015.

2 / 2
 

Latest News

Latest Photos