A great healthy recipe that is a good choice of vegetarians. You can use fresh or frozen or even dried peas in the recipe. Also, add dry nuts like almonds, and cashew nuts for added flavor.
- 1 Tablespoon Ghee
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin seeds / jeera
- 5 Cloves / lavang
- 1 Bay leaf / tej patta
- 1 Star anise / chakr phool
- 1 Inch cinnamon stick / dalchini
- 3 Cardamom / elachi
- 1 Medium sized onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Small green chili, slit lengthwise
- 1 Teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 Cup Peas / matar, fresh / frozen
- 1 Cup Basmati rice, soaked 30 minutes
- 1.5 Cup Water
- Salt as required
How to Make Matar Pulao ( Peas Pulao)
- Firstly, in a cooker heat ghee and add cumin seeds.
- Further add cloves, bay leaf, star anise, cinnamon stick, black pepper and cardamom. saute till they turn aromatic.
- Furthermore, saute onions till they turn translucent.
- Also saute green chili and ginger-garlic paste.
- Additionally add green peas and saute well. either add fresh or frozen peas.
- Further add basmati rice soaked for atleast 30 minutes and saute gently.
- Now add 1.5 cups of water. always add 1.5 cups of water to 1 cup of basmati rice.
- Additionally add salt to taste and mix well.
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles on medium flame.
- Once the pressure releases from the cooker, gently fluff.
- Finally, serve peas pulao or mattar pulao with raita or with paneer curries.
This is a very simple recipe for a quick lunch or dinner. But to make extra delicious, try adding a few paneer cubes or soya chunks to the recipe and enjoy that added bite.