Imagine a world without electricity. Ranging from providing lights to powering up your cell phone, electricity is an indispensible part of the modern existence. Electricity is an energy which drives the wheel of the modern world.
Production of electricity
Electricity as produced in power/thermal plants gears to the spinning of a turbine. Now this turbine drives a generator which is essentially a magnet that is made to spin inside a mesh of wires. The spinning of this magnet results in the production of electricity. But, the factors contributing to making the turbine spin can be different. Some of the relevant factors are given as the following:
- Water power: Much of the electricity is generated in hydropower plants- where the generation is based on the flow of water. The flowing water ends up spinning a turbine which has it linked to a generator.
- Power of wind: Wind energy is also made use of in the production of electricity. Turbines resembling windmill are chipped in to the process.
- Nuclear fission: The process chips in to release heat and bring about a series of reaction that again ends up spinning a turbine. This ultimately results in the production of electricity.
- Fossil fuel: Fossil fuels including coal are used for the purpose of boiling water. The resulting water vapor is made use of to spin a turbine and result in the production of electrical force.
- Modes of transmission of electricity at home: Having been generated at the different power plants, the transmission of electricity takes place by means of power lines. They exist as a complex network of grid linking power stations to the sites (including homes, shops, business centers, offices and so on) thriving on the use of power.
Easy tips to save electricityThe following are some easy tips to save electricity at home:
- Some of the easy effective ways to save electricity includes switching off the bills of power when not in use. Little steps like switching off lights and fans can go a long way in conserving electricity.
- Avoid including a centralized conditioning system to fulfill your household needs. Rather go for room specific heaters and coolers. The economy of scale will just not suit your bill, if centralized systems are installed for household purposes.
- Rather than banking too much on dryers, rely more on the natural scheme of drying by way of cloth lines/laundry racks.
- If computers are not in use, do opt for the sleeping mode rather than let it eat into the channels of power.
- Minimize the use of hot water for washing clothes.
- Compact fluorescent lamps have significant deals to offer in the conservation of electricity. Use them to suit your household needs. In case, you choose to use bulbs which eat into the energy reserve in a big way, go for the ones of 100 watt.
- Avoid using bulbs of sixty watt. Even the light bulbs of 100 watt need to be used carefully.
- As far as refrigeration is concerned, do remember in mind that it is one of the largest users of electricity. In fact, it comes next in line to that of air conditioners. But you can save electricity besides getting your moneys' worth by choosing to use an energy efficient model. So, it is always better ridding yourself of the models that were in vogue earlier on and getting them replaced by the latest efficient model.
- Before making the purchase of any appliance for household use, it is important to check out its energy efficiency rating.