Home science literally means the science of the home. Once highly neglected, the professional prospects of this subject have grown brighter in the recent years. Home science aims at creating the optimum environment for living with the help of available resources. It consists of the knowledge and expertise required to make a beautiful home and maintain a healthy and happy lifestyle. It integrates the science and arts of various disciplines and applies them in order to optimize the home environment, utilization of resources and child development.
Courses categorized under Home Science
Career possibilities of a specialist in Home Science
Previously it was thought that only a homemaker would need the particular skills imparted by Home Science. However, as the importance of making scientific decisions in order to improve your home life came to be recognized, the career possibilities increased manifold. A specialist in Home Science can build a career in the following fields:
- Nutrition and health care is a growing area. A specialist in Home Science can work as a dietitian in hospitals, clinics and health clubs. They can further specialize I food administration, therapeutics and other health related issues.
- A Home Scientist can pursue a career in social welfare because he has been trained to create or identify the best possible home environment for the family. Moreover, a specialist in home science also educates people about proper nutrition without which no society can live healthily.
- Institutional catering is another career opportunity in these days of calorie conscious eating. Home scientists are often retained to plan and prepare well balanced nutritious meals in institutions.
- Food administration is another area of specialization. This includes menu planning, product promotion etc.
- If you are creative and adventurous, you can go into research regarding various aspects of home management. Writing books on recipes, cooking techniques, home decoration and interior decoration are other great career options.
Approximate salary to be expected at entry level
Unless you have written a wildly successful cookbook or home decoration books or are running a highly popular recipe website, the salary prospects are not very high at the entry level. However, once you have completed your training, the salary scale improves rapidly. Moreover, since most jobs are in the private sector, the scale of salary largely depends on the particular institution where you work. The worldwide growth in consciousness regarding fitness and nutrition has vastly improved the prospects of home science.
Pre qualifications required to join the stream
- If you decide to pursue a career in home science, you will have to follow the given steps:
- Complete your +2 level with bio science or computer science. You should have either chemistry or food and nutrition at this level at least.
- Complete undergraduate course in home science obtaining your B. Sc degree.
- If you want to study further, you can opt for M. Sc in home science or diploma courses in food administration.
Best places in India to study the course
You can study Home Science in the following places in India:
- Institute of home economics, Delhi University
- Osmania University (Andhra Pradesh)
- Bangalore University
- Lucknow University
- MS University, Baroda
- Patna University
- G. B. Pant University, Pant Nagar
- SNDT Women’s University, Mumbai
- Indira Gandhi National Open University
- Central Food Technology and Research Institute, Mysore
- Kurukhshetra University
- Avinashilingam University, Coimbatore.
Best places in the world to study the course
You can study Home Science in the following institutes of the world:
- Michigan State University
- Simmons College
- University of Utah
- Charles Stuart University (Australia)
- University of Westminster (UK)
- Glasgow Caledonian University (UK)