With each pumping of heart, pressure created by circulating blood is known as blood pressure. As the heart beats, pressure of blood is circulated in a decreasing order through arteries, arterioles, capillaries and veins. While the maximum pressure exerted is called the ‘systolic' pressure; the minimum pressure is called the ‘diastolic' pressure. With systolic pressure indicating the pressure of heart while pumping blood and diastolic that of the state of rests between beats; the normal level of difference is expected to be between 120-80 mm of Hg. But on account of varying physiological conditions; the mentioned limit may be disrupted creating situations of hyper or hypo tension. Hypo tension mainly reflects the debility of a weakened system. But hyper tension on the other hand, reflects a more serious condition which may lead to heart and coronary attacks.
Besides the causes of faulty diet, obesity, age, failure of kidney and genetic reasons also contribute significantly to hypertension. Inflammation and absence of elasticity in arteries are also the other contributing factors. Apart from seeking sufficient medical assistance, dietary and other associated measures can be taken so as to curb low blood pressure.
High Blood Pressure Natural Treatment
- It is imperative on part of patients with high blood to adopt a salt restricted diet regimen. Uncooked or table salt must be completely avoided. In fact, in accordance with the gravity of situation, it is advisable that they may adopt an oil free diet. Similar to cutting down on salt, it is advisable that they cut down on the consumption of oil and fat. Instead of opting for seasoning in salt, seasoning in pepper may be a better option as the 'cayeene' content of pepper prevents accumulation of platelets; thereby facilitating a smooth circulation.
- Brisk walking for thirty minutes at least twice a day serves to reduce high pressure.
- Sedentary lifestyle marked by stress and tension contributes to high pressure. So stress free life aided by relaxation and meditation will be of considerable help.
- Even free hand exercises such as jogging, cycling, free hand exercises and swimming are beneficial for controlling high blood pressure.
- Cutting down on smoking and alcoholic consumption is also mandatory.
- Mint leaves contribute significantly to reducing blood pressure. Powdered form of dried mint leaves may be had twice a day to reduce high blood pressure. Two teaspoonfuls of the same may contribute directly to reducing high blood pressure.
- One of the medicinal properties of garlic caters to the reduction of arterial spasms. So consumption of garlic contributes significantly towards lowering blood pressure and also ensuring control over pulse rate and cardiac rhythm.
- Lemon also keeps hypertension under control by adding to the strength of capillaries. Regular consumption of lemon juice squeezed into water without salt or sugar will serve to control blood pressure by controlling the wear and tear of arteries with its invaluable Vitamin P content.
- Similar to lemon juice, grapes also serve to reduce blood pressure with its Vitamin P content.
- Gooseberry also serves to keep blood pressure under control. Gooseberry mixed with honey should be taken every morning.
- Dried and roasted seeds of watermelon also serve to reduce blood pressure by dilating the blood vessels.
- Consumption of vegetables including potato, parsley, carrot and spinach play significant role in reducing blood pressure. Juice made out of raw spinach and carrot works to reduce blood pressure with two glasses being taken twice a day.
- Celery and broccoli deserve special mention amongst all vegetables as 'phytochemical' content of theirs serve to lower blood pressure. Celery helps to control stress hormone that has constricting effects on blood vessels.
- Fruits rich in Vitamin B, sodium and potassium such as banana, grapes, oranges and apricots also serve to improve the circulatory system.
- Rice with its low salt and cholesterol content work against high blood pressure. Besides the calcium content of rice serves to relax the nervous system. Magnesium and Potassium content of potato also serve to reduce hypertension.
- As far as the choice of cooking medium is concerned, it is always advisable to go for one based on unsaturated oils extracted from mustard, safflower, sunflower and seeds of bitter gourd.
- While natural remedies suggested as part of treatment for hypertension or high blood pressure should be accompanied by thorough medical advice and regular checkups; a situation of low blood pressure can be rectified easily by adopting a few dietary tips.
- In order to prevent blood pressure from falling; it is important that you keep yourself properly hydrated because absence of water from the system may lead to the fall of pressure.
- Almond paste added to milk, juice of beet root, chewing raisins soaked in water also help to control low blood pressure.
- Equally effective is the consumption of basil juice and honey on an empty stomach for curing the symptoms of low blood pressure.
- Nutritious food rich in protein and carbohydrate should be included in diet.
Both forms of pressure abnormalities are counterproductive from the point of view of system. The kind of lifestyle one leads has an important role to play. So steps should be taken to lead an active life free from woes and anxieties with insistence on physical exercise and balanced diet.