Have you ever got scared or sceptic meeting a person with red eyes. You would have thought the person to be in tremendous anger or under tremendous fit of sadness or under acute intoxication but wait, the causes might not be any one of them. It might simply be the fact that the person is suffering from Pink Eye. A pink eye is an eye infection, which might be viral, bacterial or allergic, due to exposure to harmful chemical or due to hemorrhage in the sub conjunctival area. Adnoviruses causes the viral pink eye and is highly contagious. Streptococci and staphylococci are the causes of bacterial pink eye. Dusts, pollen grains, animal hair can also cause allergic pink eye. Chemical triggers like the house cleaners, sprays etc can also cause pink eyes.
Treatment for Pink Eyes - Home Remedies for Pink Eyes
Natural home remedies to pink eye are fortunately available close at hand for application and effective cure. They are as follows.
- A teaspoon of dried flower of chamomile added to a cup of boiled and cooled water and thereafter strained and applied as an eye wash is very effective for pink eye. This decoction can also be used as a compress
- Elder berry blossom tea can also be used as an eye wash for curing pink eye syndrome. It is one of the best remedies available at hand.
- Fennel seeds easily available at hand can be boiled and subsequently cooled and there after used as an eye wash is a good way to tackle pink eye
- Add three table spoons of pure honey into two cups of boiling water and then allow it to cool down. Stir to dissolve. When used as an eye wash several times a day it works wonders. This is because honey has anti bacterial properties which reduce infection and thereby pink eye.
- Warm or tepid milk can be used as an eye wash to reduce infection of the pink eye.
- Potato is a natural astringent. It can thus be used effectively. A slice of raw potato placed on the eye can cure the disease. A poultice can also be made with potato extract and thereby used directly on the affected eyes for cure. It must be left for twenty minutes before removal. When the treatment is continued for continuous three days it naturally cures pink eye
- Turmeric is a natural antibiotic and steroid and thus harmless. Add two table spoons of turmeric powder to a cup of boiled water and use it as an eye compress for quick relief from pink eyes.
- A poultice that is prepared from live cultured yogurt and applied on daily basis reduces inflammation and redness of the eyes.
- Aloe Vera is a magic plant which has a lot of curing properties. Aloe Vera juice extracted and then soaked in a piece of cloth and then placed on the affected eyes is very good for curing it. It can also be used as an eye wash.
- A table spoon of baking soda soaked in a cup of cold water and then applied as an eyewash is not only very soothing to the smarting eyes but cures pink eye very effectively.
- Powdered barberry rood boiled in one cup of water for quite some time and then the decoction can be used as an eye wash or eye compress. The berberine in barberry has anti bacterial properties.
- One table spoon of boric acid diluted and boiled in a quart of water and then used as an eye wash or eye compress thrice a week can work wonders for the pink eye. It can be applied by soaking the decoction in a gauze piece and then placing it on the eyes. After drying the eye is washed off.
- Amazing however when cold bread is applied on the closed eyes it will reduce inflammation and itching and therefore cure pink eye in the long run.
- Putting one drop of castor oil in the affected eye or eyes three times a day also cures the pink eye disease naturally.
- A drop or two of fresh breast milk in the affected eye or eyes cures pink eye very effectively.
- Simple hot water compresses can cure it. The bugs causing infection are sensitive to heat plus heat helps increase blood flow in the eyes and thus rinses the eye of toxins.
- Marigold has strong anti septic and anti inflammatory properties. Thus compress with marigold extract can cure the pink eye fast and effectively.
- In One cup of water add one fourth teaspoon of sea salt and a teaspoon of charcoal dust. Boil the mixture and let it cool. Strain the mixture thoroughly through cheesecloth. Drop four to five drops of the fluid in the affected eye every couple of hours. This is a time tested remedy.