Pratipada Shraddha also known as Padwa Shraddha is observed on ‘pratipada tithi’ (1st day) during the ‘Shukla Paksha’ (the period of bright fortnight of moon) in the ‘Bhadrapada’ month of the Hindu calendar. However as per the Purnimant Calendar, it falls in the month of ‘Ashwin’ and in the Gregorian calendar it is observed in the months of August-September. Pratipada Shraddha is the first day of the Pitru Paksha (the fortnight period dedicated to ancestors) that ends with ‘Mahalaya Shraddha’. The Pratipada Shraddha ritual is observed for the deceased family members who have died on the Pratipada or Padyami tithi in both during the Krishna Paksha and Shukla Paksha.
Pratipada Shraddha 2020 is on September 02 Wednesday
1 month and 21 days to go for the event
Rituals during Pratipada Shraddha:
- Pratipada Shraddha rituals involve offering tarpan to the dead members of the family. It is a way of paying homage to one’s ancestors. All the rituals must be performed by the eldest male of the family.
- After the tarpan ritual, pind-daan is performed and the offerings are either given to a cow or immersed in a river.
- Pratipada Shraddha rituals are done during the suitable time so that the prasad can be eaten during the ‘Aparahna’ or afternoon time. After the completion of all the rituals, the prepared food is first offered to a Brahmin and later eaten with all family members.
- Charity is also done on Pratipada Shraddha for the deceased family member who died on the ‘pratipada tithi’.
- On Pratipada Shraddha some people even observe a fast. On all days of Pitru Paksha period, eating non-vegetarian food and drinking alcohol is strictly prohibited. Some people even do not shave or cut hair during this time.
Important Timings On Pratipada Shraddha
|Sunrise||September 02, 2020 6:13 AM|
|Sunset||September 02, 2020 6:39 PM|
|Pratipada Tithi Begins||September 02, 2020 10:52 AM|
|Pratipada Tithi Ends||September 03, 2020 12:27 PM|
|Aparahna Kaal||September 02, 1:41 PM - September 02, 4:10 PM|
|Kutup Muhurat||September 02, 12:01 PM - September 02, 12:51 PM|
|Rohina Muhurat||September 02, 12:51 PM - September 02, 1:41 PM|
|Place : Ujjain [ India ] See More|
Significance of Pratipada Shraddha:
Shraddha is an important ritual that is observed in Hinduism for the dead ancestors. The details of all the Shraddha rituals are mentioned in several religious scriptures like ‘Matsya Purana’, ‘Garuda Purana’ and ‘Agni Purana’ to name a few. The tarpan and pind-daan rituals are done to offer peace to the deceased people. It offers liberation from the cycle of birth and death, resulting in salvation. Kasha, Gaya, Prayag Sangam, Rishikesh, Haridwar and Rameshwaram are important pilgrimage places for performing the Pratipada Shraddha. The Pratipada Shraddha can be performed for maternal parents who are without any male offspring, irrespective of the ‘tithi’ or day in which the person died. This day like all other days of Pitru Paksha is considered to be inauspicious. It is believed that by observing the Pratipada Shraddha rituals bring prosperity and happiness at home.
Pratipada Shraddha festival dates between 2017 & 2027
|2017||Wednesday, 6th of September|
|2018||Tuesday, 25th of September|
|2019||Saturday, 14th of September|
|2020||Wednesday, 2nd of September|
|2021||Tuesday, 21st of September|
|2022||Saturday, 10th of September|
|2023||Friday, 29th of September|
|2024||Wednesday, 18th of September|
|2025||Monday, 8th of September|
|2026||Sunday, 27th of September|
|2027||Thursday, 16th of September|