The ‘Purnima’ (full moon) observance in month of Bhadrapada in the traditional Hindu calendar is distinguished as Bhadrapada Purnima. On this auspicious day Hindu devotees worship Lord Satyanarayan who is an avatar of Lord Vishnu. Bhadrapada month is the sixth month in the Hindu calendar and it corresponds to the month of ‘Purattaasi’ in the Tamil calendar and the months of September-October in the Gregorian calendar. Bhadrapada Purnima is celebrated with immense gaiety and fervour all across India, especially in the state of Gujarat. Special festivities are observed on this day in the temple of Ambaji, in Gujarat.
Bhadrapada Purnima 2022 is on September 10 Saturday
1 month and 2 days to go for the event
- On Bhadrapada Purnima Hindu devotees wake up early and finish their morning rituals. Taking a bath in the holy rivers like Ganga, Yamuna and Narmada to name a few, is considered very rewarding on this day. It is a widespread belief that one who performs the Bhadrapada Purnima Snan receives the divine blessings of Lord Vishnu.
- In most of the households, Satyanarayan puja is held on this day. The idol of Lord Satyanarayan is given sacred ‘Panchamrit Snan’ (bathing ritual from a concoction of milk, sugar, curd, honey and ghee). Devotees also make offerings to Lord Satyanarayan in the form of fruits and sweets.
- After the puja, the recital of Satyanarayan Katha is very important. According to the Hindu belief reciting Satyanarayan Katha in one’s home or even going to someone house on invitations is considered to be very auspicious. On Bhadrapada Purnima devotees also recite other stories dedicated to Lord Vishnu, along with Lord Brahma, Lord Shiva and Goddess Lakshmi.
- Most of the devotees also observe fasting on this day known as Bhadrapada Purnima Vrat. The fast continues for the day and ends in the evening after the narration of Satyanarayan Katha. The observer of this vrat must not eat pulses, grains and salt. However eating of milk products and fruits is allowed.
- The day of Bhadrapada Purnima is also befitting to perform ‘Maha Mrityunjaya Havan’. A person who performs this havan with utmost devotion on this day gets freedom from all the negativities in his/her life.
- On Bhadrapada Purnima there is also a significance of donating clothes and food to Brahmins or those needy. Charity done on this day is highly rewarding.
Important Timings On Bhadrapada Purnima
|Sunrise||September 10, 2022 6:15 AM|
|Sunset||September 10, 2022 6:32 PM|
|Purnima Tithi Begins||September 09, 2022 6:08 PM|
|Purnima Tithi Ends||September 10, 2022 3:29 PM|
|Place : Ujjain [ India ] See More|
Significance of Bhadrapada Purnima:
According to the Hindu calendar, there is an occurrence of one ‘Purnima’ (full moon day) and one ‘Amavasya’ (no moon day) in every Hindu lunar month. In the Hindu mythology the full moon night is associated with immense religious significance. The Bhadrapada month is dedicated to worshipping Lord Vishnu and therefore the Bhadrapada Purnima has lot of importance. The day after Bhadrapada Purnima marks the beginning of the Pitru Paksha Shraddha. According to the astronomical calculations, the Bhadrapada month derived its name owing to the fact that the eastern or northern Bhadrapad Nakshatra is formed in this month on the Purnima or full moon day. This day is also auspicious for performing Griha Pravesh ceremony. Bhadrapada Purnima is a sacred and special festival for Lord Vishnu followers. On this day devotees pray to Lord Satyanarayan with devotion to seek His blessings for a better life.
Bhadrapada Purnima festival dates between 2019 & 2029
|2019||Saturday, 14th of September|
|2020||Wednesday, 2nd of September|
|2021||Monday, 20th of September|
|2022||Saturday, 10th of September|
|2023||Friday, 29th of September|
|2024||Wednesday, 18th of September|
|2025||Sunday, 7th of September|
|2026||Saturday, 26th of September|
|2027||Wednesday, 15th of September|
|2028||Sunday, 3rd of September|
|2029||Saturday, 22nd of September|